University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity

Office of Student Employment

Search Student Employment

Supervisor's Handbook


Types of Student Employment at UMD
Miscellaneous Employment
Eligibility for Student Employment
Work Limitations
Shift Differential
Job Classifications
Student Job Families
Job Descriptions
Pay Rates for College Work-Study
Recommended Salary Ranges
Posting a Job Vacancy
Hiring Procedures
I-9 Regulations and Procedure
Racial/Ethnic Form
W-4 Forms
Academic Credit for Work-Study

Types of Student Employment


College work-study eligibility is determined when a student completes the FAFSA. The Financial Aid office is responsible for awarding, and students must demonstrate a financial need to be awarded. Departments hiring college work-study eligible students are responsible for 25% of total dollars earned by students.

Miscellaneous Employment

A student's financial needs is not a factor under miscellaneous employment. Individual departments hire students and departments are responsible for total dollars earned by students.

Eligibility for Student Employment

To be eligible for student employment, a student must be registered for a minimum number of credits each semester, as follows:

    • 6 credits per semester (at least half-time)

    • 3 credits in graduate school (or thesis only)

    • 6 credits as a non-degree-seeking student (eligible for miscellaneous employment but not eligible for work-study)

    • 6 credits total during the May and/or summer terms

Students must be enrolled to receive work-study funds. Students enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits spring semester, and who will return fall semester, may be employed under miscellaneous employment during the summer term without summer enrollment.

Students who graduate, leave school, or who fail to meet registration requirements shall lose eligibility for student employment. Student employees who lose student employment eligibility must be terminated from student employment immediately.

Incoming Freshmans hired in the summer should be hired into a 0001 Tem Casual then into a work study/ misc 2XXX in the fall.

Departments may hire recently graduated students to complete projects as an 0001 Temp Cas or Temp No Post. Please look to the policies regarding hiring Temp Cas and Temp No Post.

Work Limitations

Federal and State regulations state that college work-study students may never work more than 40 hours per week. Institutional Policy states that student employees may never work more than 40 hours per week.

Federal and State regulational as well as Institutional Policy state that students cannot work during scheduled class time. To assure that students are not working during a scheduled class period, we recommend that hiring departments ask students to bring a copy of their course registration when setting up their work schedule.

Work-study students cannot be used to replace civil service bargaining and non-bargaining unit employees.

Total earnings per student as stated on the Referral (work permit) must be observed. The employer is encouraged to carefully monitor the student's earnings because excess earnings may jeopardize the student's other financial aid. If a student's earnings go beyond the work-study award, excess earnings will be charged to the employer's account.

Work-Study award terms and eligible pay period dates are indicated on the student's Work-Study Referral form. Students with awards for fall and spring semesters are intended to be earned evenly over the course of the academic year; half of the award earned in fall semester, half earned in spring semester.

Students that did not earn half their award during fall semester can make up the earnings during spring semester.

Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis if a student and their employer wish to use more than half of an academic year award during fall semester. Employers can submit a written request for such an exception to:

Work-Study Coordinator
Financial Aid Office
184 DAdB

or fax it to 218-726-8219

Include the student's name and Student ID# in the request. You do not need to provide an explanation for the request.

Federal regulations permit payment of work-study students only for hours actually worked. If the University is officially closed for emergency reasons, such as severe weather or for official holidays, work-study students cannot be paid on work-study payroll even if scheduled to work.

Student employees paid on an hourly rate who are required to work on any official University holiday shall be paid at the rate of time and one-half for the hours worked. Student employees paid an hourly rate, who are not required to work or cannot work because their department is closed on any official University holiday, are not paid for the holiday.

NOTE: Work-Study awards may not be used to pay a student holiday or overtime pay. If a student must be paid holiday or overtime pay, use sub-object 20 when entering these types of pay.

Shift Differential

Student employees who are assigned to work regularly scheduled shifts of at least six hours in duration are eligible for a shift differential of $.60 per hour. These work shifts must begin before 6:00 a.m. or end on or after 7:00 p.m.

Job Classifications

The purpose of a job classification system is to recognize differences in job skills and job responsibilities and to establish a system of equitable pay for student employees. The Twin Cities Office of Human Resources has implemented a new job classification and compensation system called STUDENT BROADBANDING. This new simplified system replaced the old 240 student job classifications and pay rates with 11 job families and one broad pay band.

Job Code #
Student Admin/Support Services
Student Food Service/Labor/Security
Student Health Support Services
Student Rec/Fitness/Wellness
Student Tech Support Services

The new system enables hiring departments to design student positions that meet their unique needs in a timely manner. It provides guidelines and consulting services rather than rigid rules.

Job Descriptions

All jobs, whether work-study or miscellaneous student employment, must be entered into the official online employment system. The job descriptions should be generic, describing jobs, not individual employees.

Pay Rates for Student Employees

Student earnings are determined by a set hourly wage and the number of hours worked. If employers have questions about hourly wages, they are advised to contact the Office of Student Employment.

Salary ranges are decided by the hiring authority with guidelines provided by Human Resources/Student Employment. This allows for flexibility to establish position and pay rates.

UMD Minimum Wage ranges from $9.50 (eff 6/13/16) to $12.00 per hour

Any wage over $12.00 per hour should be consulted with the Office of Student Employement and Human Resources. A rationale must be provided to Mary Cameron for approval.


Stipends are not an allowable form of payment for student employees. Each student employee must be paid an hourly rate. Work-study regulations require each position to have an assigned hourly pay rate and time sheet reflecting actual hours worked.

Posting a Job Vacancy

Only Hiring Managers in departments may post student positions on the University Employment Website. Please check in with your Department for the contact. For more information please feel free to contact Sarah Yang 218-726-7822 or regarding the process.

Hiring Procedures


All college work-study positions must be approved by the Office of Student Employment which will review your student posting for the appropriateness of classification, pay rate, and other pertinent information.

You must have a College Work-Study Guidelines Agreement on file in our office. The Office of Student Employment will prepare and mail this agreement to all on-campus departments hiring college work-study students. This form is kept on file and does not have to be done on an annual basis. The only time a new agreement needs to be signed is when there is a new department head.

When a decision to hire has been made, contact the Office of Student Employment for instructions on closing out the posting online. Complete the Student Personnel Action Form and necessary hiring documents and forward to:

Human Resources 255 Darland Admin Building

Attn: Student PAF

• Student Personnel Action Form (PAF)
• Human Resources Information and Racial/Ethnic Group Identification Form (HRIF)
• Work Study Referral Form
• I-9 document
• W-4

Miscellaneous Employment

Job posting and hiring procedures are the same for miscellaneous employment.

Announcements of all local vacancies shall be posted on the official website of the Office of Student Employment. Call 726-7161 for posting and closing of positions.

I-9 Regulations and Procedure

I-9 Employment Authorization Requirements

The 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act requires all U.S. employers to verify the identity and work authorization or eligibility of all individuals, whether U.S. citizens or not.  The University of Minnesota uses I-9 eXpress—a web-based employment eligibility service—to enter, verify, document, and ensure employment eligibility for all new employees.  All new employees, including student employees, must complete an I-9 form (online) within the first three (3) days of employment. 

For more information on I-9 Employment Authorization Requirements, go to:

Racial/Ethnic Form (on reverse side of HRIF Form)

The federal government requires this form for all employees. A new form is required every two years. Either the student or the employer can complete this form. Students cannot be paid until this form is on file with the payroll office in Minneapolis. Screen 29 will show if a Racial/Ethnic form is on file.

W-4 Forms

Information provided on a W-4 form instructs Minneapolis Payroll of the appropriate and desired tax withholding for a particular student employee. This form needs to be completed only once when the student is first employed at this institution. The University attorneys have advised that we are not to assist students in completing this form. We are not tax consultants and could be held liable if an error is made. Have the student contact their parents' tax consultant, accountant, or the IRS. Note: If student files exempt status, they must complete a new form prior to February 15th each year.

Academic Credit for Student Employees

The fact that a student may receive academic credit from the work performed on a job does not automatically disqualify the job under college work-study, nor does it mean the student should receive any less pay; however, there are certain restrictions. If a student must complete an internship or practicum as part of his or her degree requirement and is not paid for doing so, the internship or practicum does not qualify under college work-study.

However, if students completing such a requirement are normally paid, a student may be employed under college work-study. A student may not be paid for receiving instruction in a classroom, laboratory or other academic setting. If a job is normally a paid position and an otherwise college work-study eligible job, a student could simultaneously receive academic credit and pay for the work performed. It is even possible for one student to be getting only credit, while a student co-worker receives both credit and pay. A student would not normally be paid from college work-study funds for such positions as student teaching because students are not normally paid for such work, and therefore they would not be "otherwise college work-study eligible positions."

© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 12/07/16 01:09 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations