University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

 Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity

Search Student Employment

Overview of Eligibility for Student Employment

To be eligible for student employment, a student must be registered for a minimum number of credits each semester, as follows:

  • 6 credits per semester (at least half-time)

  • 3 credits in graduate school (or thesis only)

  • 6 credits as a non-degree-seeking student (eligible for miscellaneous employment but not eligible for work-study)

  • 6 credits total during the May and/or summer terms

Students must be enrolled to receive work-study funds. Students enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits during spring semester, and who will return fall semester, may be employed under miscellaneous employment during the summer term without summer enrollment.

Students who graduate, leave school, or who fail to meet registration requirements shall lose eligibility for student employment. Student employees who lose student employment eligibility must be terminated from student employment immediately.

Types of Student Employment at the University of Minnesota Duluth


To qualify, the student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All students are encouraged to file for financial aid by completing the FAFSA. The work-study dollars are funded from a combination of federal and/or state (75%) and institutional (25%) funds. Departmental budgets are charged for the institutional share.

Financial aid applicants who have work-study awards are the only students who may be hired on work-study payroll. Their earnings must be limited to the amount of the work-study award stated on the Referral (work permit). Departments allowing a student to earn over the awarded amount will be billed for the amount over the award.

Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply for employment under the college work-study program.

Students with work-study may, under a rare circumstance have more than one work-study position. Please check with the student employment director before placing students in more than one work-study position. Each academic year, students are notified of their work-study awards on the Financial Aid Award Notice.

Beginning with the 1999-2000 school year, all students awarded college work-study will receive a letter explaining their award, the work permit, and the Student Work Agreement form. Students will be instructed to complete the Student Work Agreement form and return it to UMD with the pink copy of the work permit. Students will retain a copy of the work permit to be presented to the hiring department.

Miscellaneous employment

A student's financial need is not a factor under miscellaneous employment. Students are hired by individual departments and departments are responsible for total dollars earned by students.

Students may have more than one miscellaneous employment position. Students may hold both miscellaneous and college work-study positions simultaneously, although this is not recommended by the Office of Student Employment because we are unable to monitor the hours worked. Departments wishing to share a student on work-study and miscellaneous employment must work together to assure those students do not exceed 40 hours a week.

© 2015 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 06/05/14 09:33 AM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations