University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

 Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity

Workers' Comp

Temporary Office Service ( TOS)

Frequenty Asked Questions
for Departments

TOS fill temporary job requests from UMD departments for vacation leave, maternity leave or any other types of leave, and for special projects.

Q. How do I request for a TOS?

A. Completely fill out the online request form at

Q. What is the salary rate?

A. Contact Sarah Yang, TOS Coordinator, or 726-7822

Q. How long can a TOS employee work for our department?

TOS employees may work a maximum of 67 work days in one department for a continuous assignment from start date of assignment.

Assignment may be extended for eligible reasons such as covering for a staff on medical leave.

An extension will not be allowed for special projects. After the 67 work days, the department must determine what their needs are either by:

  • posting the position, OR

  • submitting a Temp No Post request (job code that may be used is 1811 not 0001) - if the Temp No Post is 75% appointment or more and lasting three months or longer, the TOS employee will be eligible for benefits.

  • hiring as Temp & Casual (Job Code 0001) Appointment - If hiring on a Temp & Casual Appointment, note that if the TOS employee has reached 67 work days during the calendar year, the Job Code to use is 1811 and salary rate should correspond with Step 1 of that job codes salary rate. If the TOS employee has not yet reached 67 work days during the calendar year, department may hire at 0001 Job Code and convert to 1811 once they reach 67 work days including the number of work days as a TOS employee.

© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 12/07/16 01:12 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations