- diaphragmatic breathing is accomplished by breathing deep into lungs
focusing on rib expansion sideways.
- stand tall, visualize the ribs opening up and the shoulders gently
- long strides pushing through the second toe. Concentrate that you
are using your glutes on the last 1/3 of the walking gate.
- arms are pumping in rhythm with your stride. Visualize that you are
pulling a comb out of your back pocket.
- go as fast as you can for 20-45 minutes. If you feel a burning sensation
in your shins, slow down just a bit.
- when you finish, do 10 one legged squats on each leg. On a stair do
15 calf raisers on each leg. Then do 15 standing straight leg lifts
on a the same stair (leg goes up and down a few inches strengthening
the hip). Finish with side straight leg lifts (hands on wall).
Drink water before, during, and after exercise and stretch.
Tips from Rod Raymond, Recreational Sports and Outdoor Program, Life
Fitness and Wellness Director