Resources and Other Info
Search UMD OEO
UMD Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity
Diversity Funds -- Application Guidelines
In furtherance of Goal 2 of the UMD Strategic Plan, funds are available for Staff (Civil Service bargaining and non-bargaining employees) and Student Diversity Projects. On a recurring basis $2,000.00 has been allocated for students and/or registered student organizations* diversity initiatives and $3,000 has been allocated for staff (Civil Service bargaining and non-bargaining employees) diversity initiatives.
UMD’s Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity has developed these application guidelines for seeking UMD Equity Education and Diversity funds.
Limited funds are available to support UMD-centered projects that focus on diversity, discrimination, social justice, sexual harassment prevention, equal opportunity/affirmative action and inclusivity.
Small Funding Projects (up to $300.00)
Major Funding Projects ($301 and above)
UMD staff and individual students or registered student organizations who wish to request funds must submit a completed online application in accordance with the following guidelines to initiate their request:
1. Funds will be allocated as one-time monetary amounts for the purpose of promoting diversity, social justice, inclusivity and educating the campus community and the Duluth community as a whole in the areas of discrimination, social justice, sexual harassment prevention, equal opportunity, affirmative action, and inclusivity. Allocation of funds will be made based on a proposal submitted and an agreement to disseminate the results of the allocated funding to a broad audience.
Criteria used to evaluate fund requests, include:
2. The purpose of these funds is to advance Goal 2 of UMD's Strategic Plan at http://www.d.umn.edu/publications/strategicplan/. Please describe how your proposed project will support Goal 2; we encourage applicants to be as specific as possible.
3. It is the responsibility of the individual or registered student organization requesting funds to prepare the documents necessary for transferring funds to the appropriate account and/or making payment to the program participants. Individual students requesting funds must have a sponsoring group, organization, and/or college prepare such documents. Additional details are contained in the fund approval letter.
4. A separate application must be submitted for each project.
5. A second application cannot be submitted during the same fiscal year for the same project. However, staff (Civil Service bargaining and non-bargaining employees), individual students or registered student organizations may apply for additional funds for different project throughout the year. We will limit, at our discretion, the number of additional funds allocated to a single individual student or registered student organization.
6. The UMD Equity Education and Diversity Funds Review Committee will consider each application and will determine which requests will be funded as well as the amount to be allocated. In some instances, a lesser or greater amount than requested may be allocated.
7. Review of applications will begin July 1 of each year and will continue on a rolling basis throughout the academic year as long as funds are available.
Funds allocated to staff (Civil Service bargaining and non-bargaining employees), individual students or registered student organizations in one fiscal year do not guarantee funding in subsequent years.
You must submit a 1-2 page report explaining how the funds for your project help to achieve Goal 2 of the UMD’s Strategic Plan/Campus Goals. The report must be submitted within one (1) month of the completion of your stated project. The report will be posted on a UMD Website. Please forward your report to Mary L. Cameron, Chair, UMD Equity Education and Diversity Funds Review Committee, 255 Darland Administration Building, Tel. 726-7912, email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funds allocated to you for your project should be used only for the purpose stated in your application request and any unused money returned to UMD Equity Education and Diversity Fund program.