You are here
International Student Admissions.
Explore a college experience like no other. UMD has a proud history of serving international students.
Citizens of foreign countries are encouraged to apply for admission to the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD). Applicants are evaluated on an individual basis, with consideration given to the academic record of each student in relation to the educational system of his or her native country. Students applying must show evidence of exceptional academic achievement and probability of success at UMD.
A strong liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs. Our liberal education program is designed to:
- Develop the art of critical thinking
- Examine basic values in light of the thought and experience of humankind
- Prepare students for lives of leadership and social responsibility, including tolerance of the ideas of others
- Encourage broad cultural and intellectual interests
- Develop effective communication abilities
- With over 150 majors and minors, UMD offers you an expansive array of academic choices.
- Active learning through internships, honors programs, research, and community service promotes the development of skills, critical thinking, and maturity sought by employers, graduate and professional schools, and society as a whole.
In class, you'll be guided by excellent professors, leaders in their field who care passionately about teaching. 73% of UMD's faculty hold the highest degree in their field; all are committed to undergraduate education. In large lectures and small seminars alike, you'll find them available, concerned, and eager to help you succeed. UMD's student to faculty ratio is 19:1.
UMD offers over 1,200 undergraduate courses, over 80% of the classes are taught to 40 students or less.