Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Effective: January 3, 2011
Last Updated: Approved by EPC April 28, 2010; approved by Campus Assembly November 9, 2010; revised and approved by EPC on February 8, 2012; approved by Campus Assembly April 17, 2012; revised and approved by the Teaching & Learning Committee 1-29-14 & 10-8-14; approved by EVCAA 12-15-14
Policy Owner: Academic Affairs
The Board of Regents, on recommendation of the faculty, grants degrees from the University of Minnesota. Requirements for an undergraduate degree from University of Minnesota Duluth include the following:
1. Students must meet all course and credit requirements of the departments and colleges or schools in which they are enrolled including an advanced writing course. Students seeking two degrees must fulfill the requirements of both degrees. However, two degrees cannot be awarded for the same major.
2. Students must complete all requirements of the Liberal Education Program.
3. Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester credits.
4. At least 30 of the last 60 degree credits earned immediately before graduation must be awarded by UMD.
5. Students must complete at least half of their courses at the 3xxx-level and higher at UMD. Study abroad credits earned through programs approved by the International Education Office may be used to fulfill this requirement.
6. For a minor to be awarded from UMD students must take at least three upper division credits (3xxx or higher) in their minor field from UMD.
7. The minimum cumulative UM GPA required for graduation will be 2.00 and will include only University of Minnesota coursework. A minimum UM GPA of 2.00 is required in each UMD undergraduate major and minor. No academic unit may impose higher grade point standards to graduate.
8. Diploma, transcripts, and certification will be withheld until all financial obligations to the University have been met.