School Health Education B.A.Sc. Outcomes
The primary objective of the degree program in Health Education – School Concentration is to prepare health education teaching candidates who demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and dispositions consistent with their discipline. Candidates are assessed using the 10 INTASC standards and the MN Board of Teaching requirements for teachers of health.
The MN BOT standards broadly stated arethat teachers of health will be able to:
- Understand behaviors and factors that prevent or reduce adolescent risks behaviors
- Understand concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention
- Access valid health information and health-promoting products and service
- Understand the effects of advertising, media, technology, and social norms on health behaviors
- Use interpersonal communication to enhance health
- Use goal-setting and decision-making skills to enhance health
- Demonstrate an understanding of the teaching of health that integrates understanding of health with the understanding of pedagogy, students, learning, classroom management and professional development.