CASL - Sept. 29, 2009
Present: Geoff Bell, Jackie Millslagle, Bruce Munson, Jerry Pepper, Shannon Godsey, Wayne Jesswein, Curt Philips, John Schwetman, Michelle Hatcher.
Excused: Donn Branstrator, Mary Keenan, Arden Weaver
Absent: Julie Westlund, Stan Burns
The meeting was predominantly a debriefing of the mini-conference, with several suggestions emerging from the discussion.
- Shannon noted she had already received one call about consulting with a program.
- Shannon suggested that perhaps the campus learning outcomes should be moved below the entry space for program outcomes; that having them at the top put too much emphasis on meeting all outcomes. There was initial agreement, but later in the conversation, we agreed that we should refrain from any more changes to the templates unless absolutely necessary.
- Shannon referenced some informal conversations that suggested we might point out to faculty and staff that they consider definining "who is the assessed population?" as outcomes and plans are being developed. No concensus on this.
- Bruce reported CEHSP feedback that the conference was useful, in general, with special comments about the Initiating an Assessment Plan workshop. Jackie noted that this workshop will be repeated on October 8.
- Overall attendance was disappointing. This led to a lengthy discussion about whether we continue to address efforts toward the entire faculty and staff, or would it be better to have "point people" for programs? Concensus was that working with assessment coordinators would be more effective and likely more efficient. Jackie will draft an email to department heads about consulting opportunities, and ask that a coordinator be identified. should be clear that it is not expected that the DH will be the assessment coordinator. The message will also solicit applications for grant funds, suggesting possible uses of the money (food for retreats, stipends, conference travel, student help with data collection and analysis.
- We also discussed the assessment cycle. If data is collected in spring semester, there should be a report of data for discussion by faculty during the week prior to classes starting.
- Next thing we need is a template for reporting; Jackie will draft.
Next meeting is October 13 at 3:00 p.m. in Kirby 355-57.
Jackie Millslagle, Recorder.