Resources on Assessment
UMD Assessment Workshops & Printed Resources:
- Assessment Forum 2011 (September 2011)
- Assessment in Liberal Education Pilot (September 2011)
- Liaison Training Slides (September 16, 2011)
- Assessment Plan Rubric (November 2011 Peer Review)
- Summer 2010 Liaison & Department Head Workshop: Department Self-Evaluation Rubric, workshop PowerPt and Julia Williams' rubrics information
- ASSL Assessment Liaison Work Session, January 2009 (Bloom's Taxonomy Verb List)
- Measures Workshop Resources, November 2009
- Student Learning and Assessment Mini-conference, September 23, 2009, UMD campus
- Handout from Barbara Walvoord's Workshop. (Spring 2009)
- Assessment Plan Forms
- Perpetual Movement: Assessment after Twenty Years. Peter Ewell, National Center for Higher Education Management Systems
- Chronicle of Higher Education. Assessment Statement endorsed by 100 public and private colleges and universities--includes examples of assessment activities at several institutions.
- 9 Principles of Good Practice for Assessing Student Learning (AAHE)
Comprehensive Assessment Guides & Resources:
- Authentic Assessment Toolbox, a how-to text on creating tasks, rubrics and standards for measuring and improving student learning.
- UMD Library Assessment Resources
- Winona State University Assessment Office, a very complete list of assessment resources.
- North Carolina State University Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment, another very complete compilation of links.
- Council for Advancement of Standards in Higher Education - Under the CAS STATEMENTS link, note the CAS Statement of Learning and Developmental Outcomes
- Student Affairs Program Assessment Resources, compiled by Florida State College
- An Exploration of High-quality Student Affairs Learning Outcomes Assessment Practices (pdf)
- Rubric Construction
- American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) Essential Learning Outcomes
Examples from Other Institutions:
- Senior Capstone Experience (AACU, Summer 2009), Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Oklahoma State University, testing and assessment
- University of Southern Florida. [JM Note: I attended an IU-PUI Assessment Institute presentation on a writing/critical thinking rubric (CLAQWA) that USF used in an online system. They have tested the rubric for 10-12 years. Online system would be available to any institution.]
- Curriculum Map Examples:
- Writing Assessment Plans - Kansas State University
- Assessment By Portfolio, an example from the field of Geoscience with links to other related resources
- California State University, provides assessment definitions and other resources
- Examples of Program Outcomes. Google for specific discipline outcomes, e.g., biology outcomes, English outcomes.
Graduate Program Resources
- Exerpt from CAS Standards for Graduate andProfessional Program Standards
- California State University-Stanislaus
- West Virginia University
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), source for indirect measures of student learning.
- Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA), communicates information on the undergraduate student experience through a common web reporting template. One goal of VSA is to measure educational outcomes to identify effective educational practices.
- The Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA), a national effort that provides colleges and universities with information about their students' performance on tasks that require them to think critically, reason analytically, solve realistic problems, and write clearly.
- The Critical Thinking Community, provides an assessment of the fundamentals of critical thinking that (according to the website) can be used in any subject.
- Bloom's Taxonomy:
- Learning Reconsidered, (ACPA/NASPA)the integrated use of all of higher education's resources in the education and preparation of the whole student.
- From Teaching to Learning - A New Paradigm for Undergraduate Education, R. Barr and J. Tagg
- Engaged Learning and Core Priniciples of Liberal Education (AACU, Winter 2007)
- College Learning for the New Global Century (AACU, 2007)
- Faculty Development: Teaching Tips Index, developed by the University of Hawaii, Honolulu CC.
Other Valuable Resources: