Council for Advancement of Student Learning
The UMD Council for Advancement of Student Learning (CASL) is convened by the assessment director and reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Administration. CASL is composed of appointed faculty and staff representatives from academic and functional units that support assessment practices. CASL strives to build capacity to effectively assess student learning, foster a culture of continuous improvement, and guide the development and implementation of a campus assessment plan. Specifically, CASL will:
- Develop a comprehensive assessment plan for the UMD campus and submit such to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Administration for approval.
- Recommend a program of training and development for faculty and staff that covers the purpose and benefits of assessment, current issues and research around assessment, and effective techniques and tools.
- Develop a timetable for annual cycles of inquiry into student learning at institution and program levels.
- Lead and encourage people who are actively involved in assessment in academic units, connect them with resources that are available for assessment and help units maximize the use of shared tools and resources.
- Collect, organize, interpret, review, and integrate assessment activities and their results; and coordinate these activities across academic programs, student support services, and other campus units.
- Review written documentation that indicates the degree to which the unit has carried out its assessment plan, and how the results are being used to improve teaching and learning.
- Review and recommend initial, continuing, or permanent funding for current and proposed assessment activities.
Initially, the UMD CASL will consist of an associate dean from each of the five collegiate units, a representative of the Educational Policy Committee (EPC), a faculty member at-large, a representative of Academic Support and Student Life, and the director of assessment. As an implementation plan develops, representatives of other functional units may be added to the Council. Note: Refer to 11:10-08 minutes where CASL agreed to add three additional faculty and a representative of collegiate Student Affairs offices.
CASL Membership, 2008-2009
- Jerry Pepper
- Olaf Kuhlke
- Julie Westlund
- Stan Burns
- Geoff Bell
- Arden Weaver
- Wayne Jesswein
- Bruce Munson
- Jackie Millslagle
- Julie Ernst (Joined in Spring Semester)
- Bilin Tsai (Joined in Spring Semester)
- Michelle Hatcher (Joined in Spring Semester)
- Mary Keenan (Joined in Spring Semester)
Jerry Pepper, Associate Dean, CLA
Julie Westlund, representing ASSL and co-curricular programs
Stan Burns, Associate Dean, SCSE
Geoff Bell, representing EPC and LSBE
Arden Weaver, Associate Dean, SFA
Wayne Jesswein,Associate Dean, LSBE
Bruce Munson, Associate Dean, CEHSP
Jackie Millslagle, VC and Director of Assessment
Shannon Godsey, representing CEHSP
Donn Branstrator, representing SCSE (class schedule conflicted; no one else appointed)
Curt Phillips, representing SFA
Michelle Hatcher, representing academic advising
John Schwetman, representing CLA
Mary Keenan, coordinator of retention initiatives