Since we all write, the Writers’ Workshop is dedicated to helping any member of the UMD campus community committed to improving and developing as a writer. Writing consultants are available for collaborative conversations on a variety of topics. For example, they can help you:
- overcome writer’s block, choose a topic, and understand a writing assignment
- write a thesis statement, develop a writing plan, and focus a rough draft
- identify strategies to organize, clarify, and concisely state your ideas
- interpret evaluation criteria, comments from instructors, or feedback from peer reviewers
- avoid plagiarism and correctly use APA, MLA, or other citation styles
- recognize error patterns in punctuation and grammar and develop strategies to fix them on your own
Because we all write, the mission of the Writers’ Workshop is to support any member of the UMD campus community who seeks to become a better writer. The Workshop facilitates collaborative conversations with writers at any level and at any stage in the writing process in order to uncover strategies for effective communication. Those who participate in such conversations engage in the continuing process of appreciating and developing the complex skill and the intricate art of the well-written word.
The Writers' Workshop is open from 9 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Thursday, and 9 AM to 2 PM on Friday. Please visit WCOnline to check available consultants. Walk in appointments are welcome during all hours of operation, but we cannot guarantee a consultant will be available without an appointment.
The Writers' Workshop administrative staff is available to help you register for the scheduling software, make or cancel an appointment, or answer any questions you may have about the Workshop. Feel free to stop by the main desk to say hi, get registered, and get started in the Writers’ Workshop.