Because we all write, the mission of the Writers’ Workshop is to support any member of the UMD campus community who seeks to become a better writer. The Workshop facilitates collaborative conversations with writers at any level and at any stage in the writing process in order to uncover strategies for effective communication. Those who participate in such conversations engage in the continuing process of appreciating and developing the complex skill and the intricate art of the well-written word.
The Writers' Workshop
Supported by the Office of Academic Affairs, the Writers’ Workshop opened its doors on September 3, 2013. The Workshop offers one-to-one sessions with 15 graduate and faculty consultants through partnerships with the College of Liberal Arts, Swenson College of Science and Engineering, Academic English Language Program, Instructional Development Services, and Writing Studies.
Because we all write, the Writers’ Workshop is dedicated to helping any member of the UMD campus community committed to improving and developing as a writer. Our writing consultants are available for collaborative conversations on any number of topics. For example, they can help you:
- overcome writer’s block, choose a topic, and understand a writing assignment
- write a thesis statement, develop a writing plan, and focus a rough draft
- identify strategies to organize, clarify, and concisely state your ideas
- interpret evaluation criteria, comments from instructors, or feedback from peer reviewers
- avoid plagiarism and correctly use APA, MLA, or other citation styles
- recognize error patterns in punctuation and grammar and develop strategies to fix them on your own
We’re here to listen and have a conversation that will help you meet your writing goals. The writing is always yours; we just provide a comfortable atmosphere to talk and learn about it.