Preparing for an Appointment: Help us to Help You
The Writers' Workshop is here to help support you and your writing needs. However, there are a few things that you can do to help make your time with us more effective. Here are a few suggestions to help you prepare for an appointment.
- Bring the assignment sheet, guidelines, or instructions for your project.
- Be sure to bring a printed paper copy of your piece of writing to your session.
- For longer writing pieces, consider working on a particular section or smaller part of the paper
- If you have specific questions or concerns, jot them down before your appointment.
- Review your draft beforehand; find the mistakes or errors that you already know so we can help you improve beyond that.
While we are happy to help you learn strategies for finding punctuation and grammar errors in your work, the Workshop consultants do not spend entire sessions proofreading papers nor do they edit papers left at the Workshop to be picked up at a later time. Sessions are designed to be collaborative and interactive, inviting participation from both the writer and the consultant.