Mathematics Seminar: Math 8811
Schedule of talks and assignments will be posted here. All talks are in
Montague 108 unless otherwise noted.
- Wed. Jan. 22 Organizational meeting (in hall)
- Fri. Jan. 24 Bruce Peckham: Dynamical Systems Intro
- Mon. Jan. 27 Bruce Peckham: Life without death is chaos, Part 1: Logistic map. Computer
experiments with graphical iteration. Chaos.
- Wed. Jan. 29 Bruce Peckham: Life without death is chaos, Part 2:
Cantor set of "survivors"
- Fri. Jan. 31 Wendy Graves: Population models with mutualism
- Mon. Feb. 3 Steve Law: Lyapunov exponents
- Wed. Feb. 5 Dong Liang: Software supplement for Abstract Algebra
(J. Gallian guest)
- Fri. Feb. 7 Krishna Kotnana: Symmetric Chain Decomposition of Partially
Ordered Sets 3 pm in SCC 130 (J. Greene guest)
- Mon. Feb. 10 Bruce Peckham: The shift map on the sequence space is
chaotic implies the logistic map on the Cantor set is chaotic
- Tues. Feb. 11 Clay Swanson: Scheduling 3:30 pm in SCC 130
(D. Froncek guest)
- Wed. Feb. 12 Bruce Peckham: Introduction to Complex Analysis
- Fri. Feb. 14 No Class
- Mon. Feb. 17 Bruce Peckham: Introduction to Complex Dynamics
- Wed. Feb. 19 Bruce Peckham: Complex Dynamics Continued
- Thurs. Feb. 20 Bruce Peckham: The Chaos of Multiplication by 2
in Undergraduate Seminar SCC 130 at 3:30
- Fri. Feb. 21 Bruce Peckham Multiplication by 2, Julia Sets and the
- Mon. Feb. 24 Bruce Peckham: Newton's Method: Julia sets, Mandebrot
sets, and Polynomial-like mappings
- Wed. Feb. 26 Bruce Peckham: Four different Logistic Population models
- Fri. Feb. 28 Bruce Peckham: Logistic Population Models cont.: Stability
of the carrying capacity
- Mon. March 3 Bruce Peckham: Stability of Fixed Points for the
Delayed Discrete Logistic Map
- Wed. March 5 Bruce Peckham: Stability of the Equilibrium Points for the
Delayed Logistic Differential Equation
- Fri. March 7 Bruce Peckham: A Differential Equations model for Peatlands:
Work with John Pastor
- Mon. March 10 Bruce Peckham: Bifurcations in the Peatland model
- Wed. March 12 Wendy Graves: Dean's model for Mutualism
- Fri. March 14 No Class.
- Mon. March 24 No class.
- Wed. March 26 Dong Liang: Report on "Adding error correcting capabilities
to the mod 11 ISBN scheme," by Aileen Cuddy and George Mackiw
- Fri. March 28 Bruce Peckham: Introduction to Fractals and Fat Cantor Sets
- Mon. March 31 Bruce Peckham: Fractal dimension of Self-similar fractals
- Wed. April 2 Bruce Peckham: Fractal generation: Removals, copies of copies,
and random iteration
- Th. April 3 Clay Swanson 4-5 pm 130 Solon Campus Center.
Some models of graphs for schedules with minimal numbers of breaks,
by D. deWerra
- Th. April 3 Prof. Gallian (7pm 120 Solon Campus Center)
Math Awareness Months 1986-2003
- Th. April 5 No class
- Mon. April 7 No class
- Wed. April 9 Bruce Peckham: Contraction Mappings in the Space of
- Fri. April 11 Steve Law: A practical method for calculating largest
Lyapunov exponents from small data sets, by Rosenstein, Collins and DeLuca.
(Room changed to: Bohannon Hall 108.)
- Mon. April 14 Bruce Peckham: The Contraction Mapping for Fractals (cont.)
- Wed. April 16
Real Perturbation of Analytic Families: Points to Regions
- Fri. April 18 Bruce Peckham: Continuation Techniques, Part I in 2D
- Mon. April 21 Bruce Peckham: Continuation Techniques, Part I in nD
- Wed. April 23 Wendy Graves: Some simple models of Mutualism
- Fri. April 25 No class.
- Mon. April 28 No class
- Wed. April 30 Dong Liang: Software Supplement for Abstract Algebra
- Fri. May 2 Steve Law: Computation of Lyapunov Exponents for maps
in dimensions greater than one.
- Mon. May 5 Bruce Peckham: Class wrapup.
- Tues. May 6 Clay Swanson: Minimizing breaks with two-bye schedules
- Wed. May 7 Wendy Graves: Some simple models of Mutualism
- Wed. May 28: Clay Swanson: Predefense talk
- Later: Predefense talks for Steve Law, Dong Liang
This page (http://www.d.umn.edu/~bpeckham/www) is maintained by
Bruce Peckham (email@example.com)
and was last modified on
Friday, 30-May-2003 12:19:59 CDT.