Carlos Carranza-Torres, Ph.D., P.E.
Associate Professor and
Director of Graduate Studies,
Department of Civil Engineering,
University of Minnesota, Duluth Campus.
260 Swenson Civil Engineering,
1405 University Drive,
Duluth, MN 55812,
Phone: (218) 726-6460
Link to Google Scholar Web Page
Link to Department Web Page
Analytical and Numerical Modeling in Geotechnical Engineering. Design of Underground and Surface Excavations. Engineering Geology. Rock Mechanics.
- Associate Professor of Geotechnical Engineering. University of Minnesota, Duluth Campus (UMD). Since 2008.
- Teaching Specialist of Rock Mechanics (2005-2008). Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.
- CE2020 Computational Tools for Civil Engineers.
- CE2425 Geologic Principles for Civil Engineers.
- CE3425 Engineering Geology.
- CE3425 Soil Mechanics.
- CE4415 Geotechnical Design.
- CE4422/5422 Numerical Modeling in Geotechnical Engineering.
- CE4426/5426 Rock Mechanics.
- CE4436/5436 Design of Underground and Surface Excavations in Rock.
- ME5335 Introduction to Finite Element Method Analysis.
- Independent Geotechnical Engineering Consultant (2005-2008; since 2008, occasionally, during university summer breaks).
- Project Engineer (1998-2005). Itasca Consulting Group. Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- PhD. in Geo-Engineering (1998). Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus, USA.
- MSc. in Engineering Geology (1994). Engineering Geology Department, ITC Delft, The Netherlands.
- BSc. in Civil Engineering (1992). Facultad de Ingeniería, Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Argentina.
- Carranza-Torres C. and T. Reich (2017) “Analytical and numerical study of the stability of shallow underground circular openings in cohesive ground”. Engineering Geology (Accepted for publication on May 24, 2017. In press).
- Carranza-Torres C. and M. Engen (2017) “The support characteristic curve for blocked steel sets in the convergence-confinement method of tunnel support design”. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology (Accepted for publication on April 2, 2017. In press).
- Carranza-Torres, C., D. Fosnacht and G. Hudak (2017) “Geomechanical analysis of the stability conditions of shallow cavities for compressed air energy storage (CAES) applications”. Geomechanics and Geophysics for Geo-Energy and Geo-Resources. Springer. 3:131-174. DOI 10.1007/s40948-017-0049-3.
- Carranza-Torres C., D. Fosnacht and G. Hudak (2016) “Analytical and numerical study of the stability of shallow underground openings for mining and compressed air energy storage applications”. In P. G. Ranjith and J. Zhao (Eds.), Keynote Lecture. Proceedings of the IC3G International Conference on Geomechanics, Geoenergy and Georesources. September 28-29, 2016. Monash University. Melbourne. Australia. Available for downloading at http://www.d.umn.edu/~carranza/IC3G.
- Juang C.H., Carranza-Torres C., Crosta G., Dong J.J., Gokceoglu C., Jibson R.W., Shakoor A., Tang H., van Asch T.W.J. and Wasowski J. (2016) “Engineering geology — A fifty year perspective”. Engineering Geology, 201, 67–70.
- Alejano L.R., Carranza-Torres C., Giani G.P. and Arzua J. (2015) “Study of the stability against toppling of rock blocks with rounded edges based on analytical and experimental approaches”. Engineering Geology, 195, 172–184.
- Carranza-Torres C., Rysdahl B. and Kasim M. (2013) “Elastic analysis of circular lined tunnel considering relaxation of ground stresses prior to installation of the support”. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, (61), 57-85.
- Hormazabal E., C. Soto, A. Russo and C. Carranza-Torres (2011) “Estimation of support requirement for large diameter ventilation shaft at Chuquicamata Underground Mine in Chile”. Proceedings of the 12th International Congress of Rock Mechanics. October 18-21, 2011. Beijing, China.
- Alejano L. and C. Carranza-Torres (2011) “An empirical approach for estimating shear strength of decomposed granites in Galicia, Spain”. Engineering Geology, 120, 91-102.
- Hormazabal E., F. Villegas, F. Rovira and C. Carranza-Torres (2010) “Geomechanical evaluation of caving macro-block options at Chuquicamata Underground Project in Chile using three-dimensional numerical modelling”. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Block and Sublevel Caving. 12 April, 2010. Perth, Australia.
- Carranza-Torres C. (2009) “Analytical and Numerical Study of the Mechanics of Rockbolt Reinforcement around Tunnels in Rock Masses”. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. 42: 175–228.
- Carranza-Torres C. and M. Diederichs (2009) “Mechanical analysis of circular liners with particular reference to composite supports. For example, liners consisting of shotcrete and steel sets”. Tunnelling and Underground Space. 24 (5): 506-532.
- Carranza-Torres C. and J. Zhao (2009) “Analytical and numerical study of the effect of water pressure on the mechanical response of cylindrical lined tunnels in elastic and elasto-plastic porous media”. International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences 46. 531–547.
- Hormazabal E., F. Rovira, M. Walker and C. Carranza-Torres (2009) “Analysis and design of slopes for Rajo Sur, an open pit mine next to the subsidence crater of El Teniente mine in Chile”. Proceedings of Slope Stability 2009, November 9-11, 2009, Universidad de los Andes, Santiago, Chile.
- Hoek E., C. Carranza-Torres, M. Diederichs and B. Corkum (2008) “Integration of geotechnical and structural design in tunneling”. Proceedings University of Minnesota 56th Annual Geotechnical Engineering Conference, pages 1–53. Minneapolis, 29 February 2008. (Available for downloading at Hoek's Corner, www.rocscience.com.)
Other Relevant Publications
- Carranza-Torres C. (2004) “Elasto-plastic solution of tunnel problems using the generalized form of the Hoek-Brown failure criterion”. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 41(3), 480–481.
- Carranza-Torres C. (2003) “Dimensionless graphical representation of the elasto-plastic solution of a circular tunnel in a Mohr-Coulomb material”. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 36(3), 237–253.
- Hoek E., C. Carranza-Torres and B. Corkum. (2002) “Hoek-Brown failure criterion –2002 Edition”. In R. Hammah,W. Bawden, J. Curran, and M. Telesnicki (Eds.), Proceedings of NARMS-TAC 2002, Mining Innovation and Technology. Toronto – 10 July 2002, pp. 267–273. University of Toronto. (Available for downloading at Hoek's Corner, www.rocscience.com.)
- Fairhurst C. and C. Carranza-Torres. (2002) “Closing the circle”. In J. Labuz and J. Bentler (Eds.), Proceedings of the 50 th Annual. Geotechnical Engineering Conference. St. Paul, Minnesota, February 22, 2002. University of Minnesota. (Available for downloading at The Fairhurst’s Files, www.itascainternational.com.)
- Carranza-Torres C. and Fairhurst C. (2000) “Application of the convergence-confinement method of tunnel design to rock-masses that satisfy the Hoek-Brown failure criterion”. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 15(2), 187–213.
- Carranza-Torres C. and Fairhurst C. (1999) “The elasto-plastic response of underground excavations in rock masses that satisfy the Hoek-Brown failure criterion”. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 36(6), 777–809.
Editorial Board Memberships
- Co-Editor-in-Chief of Engineering Geology –journal published by Elsevier (January 2013-December 2015).
- Associate Editor of Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology –by Elsevier (2010-December 2012).
- Former member of the Editorial Board of Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology –by Elsevier (2005-2010; and from January 2013 on).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering –published by Springer (2007-Present).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Engineering Geology –by Elsevier (2006-Present).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences –by Elsevier (2004-Present).
- Former Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering –technical journal of the Geo-Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE (2006-2009).