Music 1541/4541 sec 012
UMD Bulldog Marching Band
Field 8/CP B13
Course Description: Rehearsal and performance of football half-time shows.
- To study and perform musical arrangements and their corresponding marching drills, covering a wide variety of musical and marching styles.
- To study and understand the drill rotational system employed and to be able to physically execute the commands properly.
- To offer a creative and positive outlet for student enthusiasm and school spirit.
- To provide proper music and school spirit at the University and selected community events.
Course Requirements and Evaluation:
- Performance of assigned musical and drill parts will demonstrate proficiency in mastering the course material. All performances will be visually and aurally evaluated by the instructor.
- Student is required to attend all scheduled performances. Rehearsals should be absence-free.
- Attendance at Band Camp prior to school starting is required of all members.
- It is essential that all rehearsals be absence-free. Absences must be reported IN ADVANCE to ATHLETIC BAND OFFICE, CP204, 726-6866 or email@example.com.
- In the event of inclement weather, rehearsals held in either MPAC1 or the Field House/Gymnasium. A sign will be posted on Band Bulletin Board outside of HUM224.
- Roll call will be taken at 4:50pm sharp. Band Block will be formed on command and section leaders will report absences to the Attendance Officer at the end of rehearsal.
- A musician’s best friend is a pencil. Have one at all rehearsals.
- All members are required to perform at all performances.
Grading – Grading is based upon attendance and personal contribution to the BMB.
- Grade of A – no more than 1 unexcused absence.
- Grade of B – no more than 2 unexcused absences.
- Grade of C – no more than 3 unexcused absences.
Excused and contribution will be evaluated by the director. More than 3 unexcused absences will result in dismissal from the BMB.-It is realized that legitimate class conflicts will arise. In this event, a class conflict form should be filled out and filed with the director. It must be countersigned by the conflicting class instructor.
-Aurally and visually evaluated performance of assigned musical and drill parts.
Attendance at rehearsal/performance without the necessary music, instrument, drill charts, pencils and lyre, flip folio, and uniform may result in the lowering of your final grade.Text: UMD Bulldog Marching Band Manual of Operations
- Strive for precision and execution of music and drill at all times.
- We will be running a class act outfit here. Always keep in mind that your actions (on and off the field, in or out of uniform) reflect on the BMB, your friends and peers, your fearless leader, the Music Department, UMD, U.S.A., etc. Keep Your Act Clean.
- Uniform Policy:
- Keep Uniform clean
- Black socks and shoes supplied by member
- Black T-Shirt under uniform at all times
- Hats must not be left on ground
- Gloves cleaned before each performance
- Instrument must be clean
- All Marching Bulldogs are expected to carry themselves with the utmost integrity and a true sense of responsibility. Please realize how important this is whenever we are on the road.
See schedule page
Students with disabilities
It is the policy and practice of the University of Minnesota Duluth to create inclusive learning environments for all students. including students with disabilities. If there are aspects of this course that result in barriers to your inclusion or your ability to meet course requirements-such as time limited exams, inaccessible web content, or the use of non-captioned videos- please notify the instructor as soon as possible. You are also encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Resources to discuss and arrange reasonable accommodations. Please call 218-726-6130 or visit the DR website at www.d.umn.edu/access for more information.