Ethical Questions By Topics
Sport in Context: How Good Were the Good Old Days? (Chapter 3 of )
1. What sporting experiences have you personally experienced that have shaped
your morale life?
2. In what ways has sport mirrored moral and societal issues in society?
3. Are sports today more or less corrupt than in the past? Why or why not!
Sportmanship, Gamesmanship, and Character: Do Good Sports Make Good
People? (Chapter 4)
- Has playing competitive organized sport build character in you or made you
- What moral lessons have you learned from participating in sport?
- How has sport influenced how you think and what you do in daily life?
- What personal conflict did or will you experience when you no longer are
able or have the opportunity to participate in competitive organized sport?
- Is deviation from rules of play ever permissible? Does competition level
make a difference?
- What should a player with knowledge of a coach’s rule violation do?
- Should a player ever confess to a rule infraction? Should a teammate ever
- Do players have any ethical obligations to their sport, their fans, and
- Should players unions be held accountable to the public?
- What is the "right" emphasis on winning?
- Is bluffing, intentionally taking unfair advantage over another, deliberately
bending the rules, not living up to spirit of the game (e.g., delay of game,
professional fouls) cheating?
Sport and Children: Training or Child Abuse? (Chapter 5)
- Are organized competitive sport programs worth all the effort? Why or why
- At what age would you have children playing organized competitive sport? Why!
- Should sport impose a minimum eligibility requirement based on age (e.g.,
in women’s tennis, 14 yr. olds can compete against 30 yr. olds.)?
Science and Sports: Performance Enhancement Drugs. (Chapter 6)
- Is deviance in sport out of control? Is participating in sport a cure
for deviant behaviors?
- Why should we be concerned with deviance in sport?
- Would you use performance enhancement drugs to win a gold medal in Olympics
when you knew they would cause permanent health problems or premature death?
- Why is substance control becoming such an important issue in organized
- Should there be mandatory drug testing of athletes? At what level of competition?
- Should athletes who are caught doping be banned from their sport?
- Should there be mandatory AIDS testing of athletes in contact sports, such as football? What policies and enforcement should be used if the athlete results indicate they have AIDS? Who should
pay for testing?
- Are surgical procedures performed solely to enhance athletic performance
Violence and Aggression in Sport and Society (Chapter 7)
- How does violence in sport affect your moral values? Others?
- Do violent strategies learned in sport carry over to other aspects of your
- How should you (we) control on-the-field violence in athletes?
- What impact has violence in sport have on promoting race, gender, and social
- How would you control or prevent fan violence at a local contest between
two rival teams?
- What should be done when fans and players jeer referees or their calls?
- What should players, fans, managers do when officials don’t enforce the
- What should the threshold be for measuring appropriate contact in sports?
- Should collision sports be banned from youth sport programs?
Sport & Justice: Title IX and Gender Equality (Chapter 8)
- Are women athletes being treated fairly and equally to men?
- If you had a daughter would you encourage her to become a cheerleader?
- Why is there a backlash among those who resent change favoring strong women?
- If you are a male athlete in football (hockey) would you play for head
female football (hockey) coach? Why or why not?
- Has Title IX changed our views on gender logic in our society?
- How can you promote gender fairness and equality in sport?
- What affect would promoting gender fairness and equality in sport have
upon our societal views toward women?
- Is it ethically defensible for sport event organizers to award lower prize
money to female athletes?
Homosexuality and Sport: Managing Personal and Social Values (Chapter
- Should gays and leisbians have the right to participate in sport?
- Should gays and leisbians have the right to coach young athlete's?
- How would you be affected if a teammate of yours recently disclosed that
he or she was a homosexual?
- How can you stop ideological sterotypes about homosexuality in sport?
Race and Sports: Do Blacks Lose by Winning at Sport? (Chapter 9)
- What are some race and ethnical sterotypes that exist about athletes or
- Why is using a team name such as the fighting Sioux or the Redskins a problem?
- How has race logic affected one's participation and role in sport?
- How does the race logic in sport mirror societal view of race out of side
- How can sports challenge the views of race logic and help transform racial
and ethical relations?
- How can you change race, gender, and ethnical logic in sport?
Business and Sport: How Much is Too Much?(Chapters 10 & 11)
- What is the relationship between who possess the wealth in sport and gender
logic and race logic?
- How does one's social class affect the opportunity to participate in sport?
- Do sports and sport organizations provide opportunities for upward social
class mobility in society?
- What happens to most athletes once they retire or quit competitive sport?
- How has commercialization affected your views about sport?
- Does commericalizing in sport promote your values? Why or why not?
- Would you want a professional sport organization in your city? Why or why
- Should professional athletes earn that much money? Why or why not?
- Should financial support to sports programs be pegged to the support other
educational programs receive within the institution?
- Should commercialism in the Olympic Games be controlled?
- Should fans and public opinion whose tax and entertainment dollars support
sports teams have a voice in how teams operate?
- What responsibilities should owners have to fans?
- Should the operations of franchises be open and transparent to the public?
- Should professional sports teams be allowed to change location at will?
- Considering escalating ticket, parking and concessions prices, taxpayer
subsidies, etc., should the public have any control over sports franchises?
- Should baseball owners have the right to eliminate the Minnesota Twins?
Media and Sport: Watchdog or Labdog?(Chapter 12)
- Would sports survive without the media?
- Has the media corrupted your thinking about sport?
- Does sport media affect your views about gender, race, and/or ethical societal
- Does viewing sport violence on TV affect your level of violent?
- Does sport media cause you to be more active sport participants?
- How much time do you spend reading, listening to, talking about, and watching
- Does your degree of fanship affect your interpersonal relationships, the
extent of your gambling and feeling of being successful?
- Is the sports media’s publication of point spreads ethically defensible?
- Should the media be required to cover male and female athletic events equally?
- Are the dangers and risks of sport adequately publicized?
Sport and Government: Sport Subsidies for Civic Interest? (Chapter 13)
- Should your tax dollars be used to build sport arenas? Should we provide
tax incentives for sport organizations but not for the other private business?
- Should the government use sport as diplomatic tool to promote American
- Should the government support elite athletes who make participate in the
- What role should the government play in competitive sport?
- Should athletic talent be allowed to migrate from home nation to another?
Sport and Higher Education: Academics, Athletics, and Financial Opportunity(Chapter
- Would you drop out of college to play professional sports?
- Should we eliminate athletic scholarships and pay each athlete for playing
just like the professional athletes?
- Should we support or eliminate interscholastic sport?
- What does the student-athlete at a university really gain from participating
in a competitive sport program at the university level?
- Sports in higher education are for who?
- Does competitive athletic program at the university level contribute to
- How do student-athletes in big-time college sports compare to other students?
- Are the NCAA rules of eligibility and opportunity to play racially discriminatory?
- What are the gender and racial inequalities that exist at intercollegiate
- What changes would you make in intercollegiate athletics to eliminate gender
and racial inequalities?
- Should athletes who have no financial need receive scholarships?
- Should college coaches be evaluated and compensated in terms of educational
goals (teaching performance) or commercial objectives (wins and losses, money
taken at the gate, or publicity accorded to the team or institution)?
- Should athletes with criminal records be allowed to play college sports?
- Should students who are not progressing acceptably in academics be barred
from high school athletic competition?
- Should sport programs be funded by the athlete who make the varsity high
- How does primary and secondary competitive sport programs contribute to
- What are the advantages to being a student-athlete at the primary or secondary