University of Minnesota Duluth
IE 3255 Statistical
When you finish this course, it is hoped that you will be able to:
- Explain in simple terms, the concepts of quality, quality improvement, and aspects of quality control and improvement (program outcomes f, h, j).
- Calculate average, sample standard deviation, sample median, and quartiles of a randomly sampled data using calculator, MSEXCEL, SPSS, and Minitab software (program outcomes a, b, e, k).
- Construct a frequency distribution, histogram, stem-and-leaf plot, box plot, normal probability of data readings of a process, using MS EXCEL and SPSS software (outcomes a, e, k).
- Describe variation in a process or data, using frequency distribution, histogram, stem-and-leaf plot, box plot, and normal probability plot (program outcomes a, e, k).
- Model and estimate process defects using Hypergeometric, Binomial, Poisson, Normal, and Exponential distribution functions (program outcomes a, e, k).
- Estimate the mean of a normally distributed population, when variance is known and variance is not known (program outcomes a, k).
- Estimate the variance of a normally distributed population (program outcomes a, k).
- Setup and conduct hypothesis test on the estimated population parameters above (outcomes a, j).
- Construct two-sided confidence interval on population parameters above (outcomes a, e, j).
- Setup control charts for variables data (x-bar and R charts) using both EXCEL, SPSS, and Minitab software (program outcomes a, e, k).
- Setup control charts for attribute data (p, np, c, and u charts) using both EXCEL, SPSS, and Minitab software (program outcomes a, b, e, k).
- Analyze and recommend control charts using Western Electric rules (outcomes a, g, j).
- Calculate and interpret process capability ratios (Cp, Cpk, and Cpkm) (outcomes a, b, e, g).
- Conduct and evaluate R & R studies on a measurement instrument (outcomes a, c, e).
- Compute main effects and sum of squares of 2k factorial experiments using Minitab Software (outcomes a, b, e).
- Define 6 sigma. Understand the concept of 6 sigma initiation (program outcomes c, j).
- Understand the concept of Lean Manufacturing (program outcomes c, j).
- Model and estimate MTTF of a product, given failure rate (program outcomes a, e),
- Power Point
The University of Minnesota is committed to the policy that all persons
shall have equal access to its programs, facilities, and employment without
regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status,
disability, public assistance status, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Document Last Modified:
Page Author: Emmanuel Ugochukwu
Please direct your questions to the