ELEMENTARY SPANISH CURRICULUM PROJECT
Standards and Benchmarks - Grade 1*
(Last Update: August 1, 2006)
1. Note: As this project is piloted and it becomes clear what can really be taught and accomplished in the time frame, these Standards and Benchmarks may change.
2. The Topics and specific objectives are:
- Me llamo..., Se llama...
- Estoy bien/mal
- Buenos días, Buenas tardes, Buenas noches
- emphasis on Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Spain
- rojo, azul, amarillo, anaranjado, verde, violeta/morado/púrpura, blanco, café/marrón/pardo, negro, gris, rosado/rosa (red, blue, yellow, orange, green, purple, white, brown, black, gray, pink)
- camisa, pantalones, calcetines, zapatos, vestido, suéter, gorro, bufanda (shirt, pants, socks, shoes, dress, sweater, cap, scarf)
- count objects in a group
- say how many you have (Tengo #)
- say age (Tengo # años)
- conejo, perro, gato, toro, pájaro, pez, rana, coquí, pato, oso, llama, caballo, león, oveja, pollito, cerdo, burro, gallo (rabbit, dog, cat, bull, bird, fish, frog, duck, bear, llama, horse, lion, sheep, chick, pig, donkey, rooster)
- Es el/la ...,Vive(n)...
- habitat: casa, jardín, zoológico, mar, granja (house, yard, zoo, sea, farm)
- lunes-domingo (Monday-Sunday)
- enero-diciembre (January-December)
- dates (el ... de ...)
- otoño, invierno, primavera, verano (fall, winter, spring, summer)
3. Culture is built in where possible, with photos, stories, music.
4. With respect to the national standards for world languages (Communication, Culture, Connections, Coomparisons, Communities):
Standard 1.1 Interpersonal Communication
Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
- 1. Imitate words and phrases similar to that of the model.
- 2. Respond to yes/no and either/or practiced questions.
- 3. Name words from visual cues.
- 4. Respond with memorized words or phrases to highly practiced questions
Standard 1.2 Interpretive Communication
Students understand and interpret written and spoken language on a variety of topics.
- 1. Understand limited, memorized words and phrases.
Standard 2.1 Cultural Practices and Perspectives
Students demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the perspectives and practices of the cultures studied.
- 1. Demonstrate limited familiarity with practices of the culture.
Standard 2.2 Cultural Products and Contributions
- 1. Demonstrate limited familiarity with the people and products of the culture.
- 2. Identify geographic location of Spanish-speaking countries
Standard 3.1 Connections to Other Disciplines
Students reinforce and further their knowledge of other disciplines through the foreign language.
- 1. Identify familiar target language vocabulary and concepts from other subject areas.
Standard 3.2 Use of Authentic Sources
Students acquire information and recognize the distinctive viewpoints that are only available through the foreign language and its culture.
- 1. Use authentic stories and music.
Standard 4.1 Linguistic Comparisons
Students demonstrate understanding of the nature of language through comparisons of the language studied and their own.
- 1. Recognize that there are similarities and differences between the native and target languages.
Standard 4.2 Cultural Comparisons
Students demonstrate understanding of the concepts of culture through comparisons of the target cultures and their own.
- 1. Demonstrate awareness of a variety of everyday components that are found in a culture.
Standard 5.1 Language Beyond the Classroom
Students use the language both within and beyond the school setting.
Activities - Share with parents.
Authors: Eileen M. Zeitz
Date: August 5, 2005