Home Page of Dr. Helen Mongan-Rallis
Associate Professor of Education at the University of Minnesota Duluth
University of Minnesota Distinguished Teaching Professor
Apple Education Trainer
120 EduE, 412 Library Drive, Duluth MN 55812
Check/sign up* for Helen's office hours
(*only for UMD people. Others call or email to arrange meeting)
Join office hours via Google Hangout
(for people meeting me online)
Current teaching (Spring 2016)
- Educ 2000: Technology for Teaching and Learning: Sections 1 & 2
- Educ 5415: Teaching Online and Hybrid Courses
- Intercultural Pedagogy Community of Practice: for teachers at the University of Minnesota Duluth (co-facilitating with Paula Pedersen)
- Intercultural Leadership Development: for staff and faculty at the University of Minnesota Duluth (co-facilitating with Paula Pedersen, Mary Cameron, & Matt Rosendahl)
Past teaching: examples of courses taught
- New Faculty mentoring series (for new faculty at theUniversity of Minnesota Duluth (co-facilitated with David Langley)
- Educ 2000: Technology for Teaching & Learning
- Educ 5412: The Computer in Education
- Educ 5413: Teaching with Technology
- Educ 5415: Teaching Online & Hybrid Courses
- Educ 5415: Advanced Media Production
- Educ elective: New and Emerging Techology
- EdSe 4100: Teaching in a Diverse Society
- Educ 1100: Human Diversity
- Educ 1101: Education in a Modern Society
- EdSe 3204: General Instructional Methods
- EdSe 3244: Teaching Social Studies Methods
- EdSe 3206: Apprenticeship Secondary
- Educ 4500: Professional Issues
Selected Presentations and Articles (past 6 years)
- Global Classroom Collaborations with a Twist: Location Independent Teaching and Learning from Here, There and Back Again. Minnesota eLearning Summit, July 27, 2016. Helen Mongan-Rallis, Donald Rallis & Kara Hanson.
- Anything that is worth doing, is worth doing badly [YouTube video of talk]. Ignite Learning talk, Duluth MN April 14, 2016
- Technology for Teaching and Learning. Presentation at the American University of Phnom Penh, Cambodia. February 9, 2016
- Teaching synchronously to local and remote students. Presentation at TIES conference, Dec. 14, 2015. Helen Mongan-Rallis & Teala Heddlesten
- Students and Technology. Presentation to College of Education and Human Service Professions, UMD, Dec. 3, 2015
- The journey towards successfully flipping the classroom: a community of practice approach. Presentation at Minnesota eLearning Summit, July 29, 2015. Elizabeth Hill, Mitra Emad & Helen Mongan-Rallis (see also as Google slides version)
- Lean in and Listen. Really Listen. Keynote address, University of Minnesota Duluth Commission on Women annual luncheon, April 15, 2015
- Sharing Our Stories: UMD Flipped Classroom Community of Practice. Presentation (panel) at University of Minnesota Academy of Distinguished Teachers Conference, April 8, 2015
- Introduction to iPads - EWHA Students. Helen Mongan-Rallis, January 20, 2015
- Innovative uses of iPads in the classroom. UMD Professional Day presentation, Sept. 12, 2014. Kathryn & Helen Mongan-Rallis.
- It's not about the latest toy... it's about transforming teaching and learning using technology (and also: How to survive and thrive in the process!). Inservice at Hermantown School, August 28, 2014.
- Exploring the possibilities: teaching for the future. Presentation at Uplands College (White River, South Africa), 3 February 2014
- Teaching in a digital age. Presentation at Beaulieu School (Johannesburg, South Africa), 29 January 2014
- Academy of Distinguished Teachers Conference Oct 4, 2013:
- Learning together: reflections on the evolution of a new study abroad programme. BUTEX Symposium, York, England. 4 July 2013. Helen Mongan-Rallis & Catherine Hyde.
- Reflections on changes in teaching & learning in the USA - guest presentation, University of Worcester 15 November, 2012
- Synchronous Online Teaching as a Component of a Fully Online Course. In Anklesaria, F, Hill Duin, A, & Nater, E. (eds), (2012) Cultivating Change in the Academy: 50+ Stories from the Digital Frontlines, University of Minnesota.
- TPA for UMD Student Teachers
- When students have two moms or two dads: supporting students with gay or lesbian headed families. UMD Professional Day presentation, January 27, 2012.
- Teaching Fully Online with a synchronous Component, ADT Conference April 25, 2011
Disclaimer: "The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of the page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota."
Page last updated:
April 8, 2017