Educ 1100 Human Diversity & PEA 299 Intercultural
Understanding and Competence: Spring 2004 - Vaxjo University: Kajsa Higgins
& Helen Mongan-Rallis
Reflection Paper #1: Exploring What
Diversity Means To You
Listed below are a number of questions and issues for you to consider in your
first reflection paper. You may choose to answer as many as you like, in whatever
order you wish. If there are other issues you would like to discuss related
to these issues, please feel free to do so. What I am looking for in this and
all of the reflection papers in this class is (see reflection paper rubric
- depth of analysis and reflection
- a willingness to take risks in self-disclosure
- your ability to connect
the issues raised
in class. with readings, and with experiences you are having outside
Questions to use as a guide in this first reflection paper:
- Who are you?
- What does diversity mean to you?
- What is your ethnic/racial heritage?
- Are you clear about your ethnic/racial identity? If yes, why? If no, why
- Who (or what) are the most significant influences in the establishment
of your racial/ethnic identity?
- What experiences have you had with people who you perceive as different
- As a child, did you have friends who were of a different racial/ethnic
background to you? Either way (ie: if your answer was yes or no) how has
this influenced the ways in which you view and have interacted with people
backgrounds as you have grown up?
- How were people of different cultures viewed in your family? How were they
- What messages did you get about people who were "different" from
- What feelings do you experience when writing this paper?
- Why do you think it's important for students to take a Human Diversity
- What else would you like to add to your reflections here about what diversity means to you?