How to Sync iPod, iPhone and iPad Music
by Helen Mongan-Rallis. Page last updated:
January 29, 2011
Watch video demonstration of how to sync iPhone or iPod music. The following screen shot also shows key steps.
- Make sure that your iTunes preferences are set so that iTunes will connect to your iPhone, iPod and/or iPad:
- Connect your iPhone, iPod and/or iPad to your computer. This will then open iTunes and show your device listed in the left column of iTunes, under "Devices"
- Click on the name of your device (in the screen shot example below, mine is an iPhone)
- This will open your device settings. Click on the "Music" tab a the top of the iTunes window
- Click on the check box to "Sync music"
- Check your preferences -- if you want to sync your entire music library or just selected playlists. Also indicate if you want to sync music videos, voice memos and auto fill free space with songs
- If you chose to sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, then from the lists below, check off those that you want to sync
- Finally, click the "sync" button at the bottom right, and this will sync your music. Do not disconnect your iPhone/iPod/iPad until the message "iPhone (or iPad/iPod) sync is complete. OK to disconnect" appears.