"How to" Guideline series is coordinated by Helen
Mongan-Rallis of the Education Department at the University of Minnesota
Duluth. If you have any questions, comments,
or suggestions to improve these guidelines please me at e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Edit Your Moodle Profile
Created by Helen Mongan-Rallis. Last updated:
August 22, 2007
To edit your user profile:
- Go to the the Moodle main page --> click on the link to login and login with your username and password (if you are doing this within the U of MN system, you will be directed to login to the U on MN system first, with your x.500 name and password).
- Once you are logged in, you will be taken to your Moodle home page. At the top right of the page, you will see "You are logged in as Your Name." Click on "Your Name." (except that it will say your own name in place of "Your Name.").
- This takes you to a page that shows the information that you have in your profile. To edit it, click on the "Edit Profile" tab.
- You can view the edit profile using either the advanced options or the basic options. To switch between the two view, click on the button that says "Hide Advanced" or "Show Advanced."
- Profile options are shown with a drop down menu or a text box next to each. Make your choices by selecting from each drop down menu or by typing text in the options that show a text box.
- When you have finished entering your choices, scroll down to the end of the page and click on the "Update Profile" button.
Uploading a photo or avatar into your profile
It is useful to other members of your Moodle class or community if you upload a photograph or an image depicting something that you would like to represent you (also known as an avatar). If you have met the members of your Moodle class already, then it is especially helpful if you upload a photograph since they already know what you look like in person, so seeing your photo within Moodle will help them to recognize you and connect your Moodle contributions to the person who they met in person. If you are participating in Moodle with people who you have never met, then you can use an avatar, since they don't know what you look like anyway. The advantage of this is that it allows participants to choose how they are seen, and not be pre-judged based on their appearance. To upload a picture:
- Acquire a photo of yourself or picture that represents you (for photo, have someone take a head shot of you with a digital camera, or scan in a photo of yourself from a hard copy photo). If this photo has been emailed to you by your instructor or tech person for you to upload to Moodle, download the photo to your computer and note the location where you have downloaded it (e.g. to your desktop)
- Edit the photo or picture:
- Using a photo editing program such as Photoshop or one of the free ones like Gimp or one that comes with your computer, edit the photo size so that it is no larger than about 50kb [do this under "image size" in your photo editing program, ensuring that you change the photo resolution to 72 pixels per inch as this is all that you need to display a picture on the web, and this will greatly reduce your photo size].
- Save photos as a .jpg and other images either as .jpg or .gif --> make note of the location on your computer where you have saved the picture, and also what you called the picture (e.g. easiest to put on your desktop initially), as you will need to know this when you upload the picture.
- Upload the photo or picture to your Moodle profile:
- Go to your Moodle profile (as described above under "to edit your user profile.")
- Scroll down to the section in your profile that says "Picture of." If you already have a picture up, it will show up here.
- Next to the section that says "New picture" there is a button that says "Browse."
- Click on this browse button --> this will open a window that shows you the contents of your computer hard drive. Navigate to the place where you saved the photo (this is why saving it to your desktop initially is helpful as it is easy to locate) --> click on "open." This will display a string of text in the box adjacent to the "browse" button.
- Include a short description of the photo in the box that says "picture description." This is important for users who are accessing the Moodle via screen reader (such as people who cannot see), as they will rely on the text description that you enter to help them visualize the picture.
- Scroll down to the end of the edit profile page and click on the "Update Profile" button.
- When your edit profile page open again after you have updated it, your photo/image might not appear to have changed. If this is the case, just click the "Reload" button in your browser.
to the Index of How To Guidelines