"How to" Guideline series is coordinated by Helen
Mongan-Rallis of the Education Department at the University of Minnesota
Duluth. If you have any questions, comments,
or suggestions to improve these guidelines please me at e-mail email@example.com.
UMConnect (Adobe Connect) Audio Setup Guidelines
By Helen Mongan-Rallis. Last updated:
December 18, 2008
The first time you facilitate a meeting as a host using your computer (and any time you facilitate a meeting with a computer that hasn't been used to facilitate a UMConnect session), you will need to set up the audio connection settings using the audio setup wizard. Do this as follows:
- Once you have entered the meeting room as a host (see "enter meeting room" directions above), click on the menu for "meeting" at the top of the UMConnect screen. This will open a drop-down menu. Select the item for "audio setup wizard."
- The first of a series of windows (steps 0-5) will open. In each window, read the directions, follow them, and when you are done, click on the "next" button. In this first window, you will be prompted to install the latest version of Adobe Connect Add-ins. Install these.
- Select Microphone: In order for you to be able to use UMConnect as a host or presenter, in order for people to be able to hear you, you have to have a microphone. In the 2nd step of the audio setup wizard you will be prompted to select your microphone from the drop down menu. The built-in microphone works fine if you are the only one at your end who will be using this microphone. However, if you have a number of people in the room with you and you would like the microphone to pick up the sound of their voices, you will need to either (a) have each person who is going to speak come up to the computer so that the built-in mice picks up their voices or (b) use a mice that can pick up voices from around the room
- Tune Microphone volume: In step 3 you check to see if you mice is working properly. To do this, click on the "Record" button, read the sentence (or say anything you like!), speaking normally (the way you will speak when you are conducting your session). As you speak, a green bar should indicate that your voice is being recorded--> then click on the square box below the record button to stop the recording --> then click on the right arrow key next to the stop button to play back the recoding. If this does not work, try again; if it still doesn't work, go into your computer control/system preferences and check there that your microphone is working.
- Tune Silence Level: The purpose of this step is to enable the setup wizard to set the levels for background noise. When you do this step, ask everyone in the room (if there are others with you) to remain silent. Then click on the "test silence" button and keep quiet until the green line has filled the box (see image below). The click on the "next" button.
- Finished: One you have completed all of the steps, the last step shows you details of your setup. Click on the "finished" button.
to the Index of How To Guidelines