"How to" Guideline series is coordinated by Helen
Mongan-Rallis of the Education Department at the University of Minnesota
Duluth. If you have any questions, comments,
or suggestions to improve these guidelines please me at e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
UM Connect: Guidelines for Instructors and Administrators
By Helen Mongan-Rallis. Last updated:
June 2, 2011
To set up a UMConnect Session
- To access UMConnect, go to http://www.oit.umn.edu/umconnect/ --> this takes you to a screen that gives you a choice to login with U of M account or METNET. Click on "Login with U of M account" --> you will be asked to authenticate (login, using your U of MN login and password). Once you have logged in, you will be taken to the UMConnect home page.
- Under the "create" menu on the left of the page, click on the "new meeting" link
- Entering settings for your meeting:
- In the box for "Name" enter the name of the session. e.g. In my example below, I created a session with the name, "How to use UMConnect."
- You can choose to ignore the Custom URL box (and UMConnect will assign you one) or you may choose to create your own custom URL. Either works, but if you want to use the same meeting room for your whole course, then you may prefer a custom URL e.g. edse4100fa11
- Summary: enter a brief description of the session giving users an idea of what the session will be about.
- Start time & Duration: this defaults to the time that you enter the meeting information. There is no reason to set this (it doesn't make a difference, especially if you plan to use the meeting room multiple times)
- Template and language: ignore unless you want to change from the defaults
- Access: For most sessions setting this at "Anyone who has the URL..." works best, as you avoid running into having to enter the information on each user. All that you need to do if you set up your session this way is to send the URL to participants or place a link to the meeting on your course or other website, and users can click on the link to connect directly to the session. Use the "Only registered users" option it the session is confidential and you want to be sure that only specific registered users can connect to the session (e.g. for a closed meeting).
- Once you have created the settings, scroll to then end of the page. If your meetings is set for "anyone who has the URL" then click on the "Finish" button. If your meeting is only for registered users, then you will need to click on the "Next" button and enter in the information for each user before proceeding to the "finish" page.
- Sharing meeting information with participants: Once you have set up the meeting, the summary screen appears with the information about your session. Copy and paste the URL from this screen into an email or onto a web page to enable users to join the session. If you want to enter the meeting right away, click on the "Enter Meeting Room" button.
View video showing how to set up a meeting
to the Index of How To Guidelines