"How to" Guideline series is coordinated by Helen
Mongan-Rallis of the Education Department at the University of Minnesota
Duluth. If you have any questions, comments,
or suggestions to improve these guidelines please me at e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
UMConnect (Adobe Connect): Facilitating a Meeting
By Helen Mongan-Rallis. Last updated:
December 6, 2009
Once you have created a meeting, you should go into the meeting "room" ahead of time to upload any documents that you may want to use in the meeting and to set up the meeting audio/video.
- Enter the meeting room: to do this, go to "My Scheduled Meetings" --> then from the list of meetings below, click on the "enter" button to enter the meeting room. This will launch a new UMConnect window (so you will not be in your browser anymore, but in UMConnect). Once you are in the meeting room, a default series of little windows (called "pods") will open, namely: camera and voice, attendee list, chat, note, and share. More about each of these later!
- Audio Setup Wizard: The first time you facilitate a meeting as a host using your computer (and any time you faciliate a meeting with a computer that hasn't been used to facilitate a UMConnect session), you will need to set up the audio connection settings using the audio setup wizard. To do this, see the audio setup wizard guidelines.
- Turn on Camera and Voice: In order for others to be able to hear you (and see you if you want to use a camera) you need to turn on the camera and/or microphone. To do this click on the icon below the camera and voice pod (it shows a picture of a video camera and a microphone)
- Click on the icon showing the camera if you want to start the video (Note: You do not need to use a camera for UM/Adobe Connect sessions - it works just fine without this).
If you want to display a picture of you, but don't want to have the video running (to reduce use of bandwidth), then once you have turned on the video and your image is shown in the pod, click just on the small camera icon, and it will capture a still image of you but turn off the video.
- To talk hands-free, click on the lock next to the "talk" button. Hands-free enables you to talk without having to keep holding down the "talk' button. It is useful if you are presenting and need to be able to move around, type on the computer and so on. However, it also means that others presenters cannot speak (it shuts out any other audio). Thus:
- Hold to talk: If you want to have more than 2 people talking, then you may want to consider using the "hold to talk" button (the one that says "talk" with a picture of a mice). Click on this, pause about 3 seconds, and while you are still holding down the talk button, you can speak. When you are done speaking, keep holding the button for about 2 seconds, then release. Then the next person can click on their talk button, and speak. Note:
It is important to pause before and after speaking while still holding the button down so as not to cut off the audio.
- Only one person can speak at a time. It will take a few minutes for you all to "get the hang" of this!
- To enable more than one person to speak, the host will need to change the status of the attendees to make them presenters (see step 7 below)
- Changing status of other attendees: As host, click on the icon next to the names of the attendee whose status you wish to change --> their status initially will show up as "participant" --> select "presenter" from the list of choices. This will enable them to be able to speak and also to upload content into the share pod.
- Showing PowerPoint presentation slides:
- First create your PowerPoint slides (save a .ppt, not pptx as UMConnect doesn't recognize pptx).
- To upload your presentation to UMConnect, in the Share (main) window of the UMConnect screen, click on the drop down menu next to the word "Documents" --> then navigate on your computer to where you have save the PowerPoint presentation and select this for uploading. Depending on the size of the file and your connection speed, it will take a few seconds to a few minutes to this.
- Once the file has uploaded, select it from the list of files that appears when you click on the documents drop down menu (so you can upload multiple PowerPoint presentations and other documents, and switch from one to another by using the sharing window.
- Advancing slides: Once your PowerPoint slides appear in the Share window, you can show the slides by clicking on the arrows that appear at the bottom of the screen under the slide. You can advance the slides by clicking on these arrows or you can click on "Show/hide sidebar" icon to display the list of slides in a sidebar to the right the slides. Remote viewers will not see this sidebar unless you click below the sidebar to "show sidebar to participants."
- To stop sharing the PowerPoint slides, click on the "stop sharing" button on the bottom right of the Share pod. This will then return to the blank share pod and you can then select other documents to share.
- Sharing other files in the Share pod: From the main Share window that prompts you with the question, "What do you want to share?" you can upload other documents (as described above), share your computer screen, or share the UMConnect white board.
- Sharing computer screen: when you click on the button "My computer screen" this will display a window that enables you to select what you want to share.
Once you have made your select, click "share" and this will start sharing.
Important: when you share your computer screen, you will no longer be able to see the UMConnect window that shows all of the pods. All you will see is the application that you chose to share or your computer screen. To return to the UMConnect window (which you need to do to stop sharing), you have to click on the UMConnect icon on your computer (on Mac this is shown in your computer dock, on Windows it appears as a tab at the bottom of your screen).
- If you choose to share your desktop, this will show remote users whatever you have on your computer desktop, including all of the application windows that you have open (so end users see exactly what you see).
- If you want to share only the contents of a particular application (e.g. you want to show something in your Internet browser), then select "Applications" and check the box(es) of the application(s) that you wish to share.
- When you are done sharing your computer screen/application, switch to the UMConnect window and click the "stop sharing" button to return to the main Share window.
- Sharing Whiteboard: From the main Share window that prompts you with the question, "What do you want to share?" select "whiteboard" (or, if you have already created one and you want a new one, select "new whiteboard." This displays a white board that can be used simultaneously (synchronously) by all who have presenter or host status in your UMConnect session. Once the whiteboard is displayed, turn on the whiteboard tools by clicking on the whiteboard tools icon on the lower right of the screen. These can be used to type text as well as to draw diagrams.
to the Index of How To Guidelines