(Quick Quiz Questions)
1. In Drosophila, clinal variation with latitude in both morphology and gene frequencies has been observed in many continents. What different kinds of inferences can you make from an observed cline in morphology vs. an observed cline in a gene?
2. Describe a simple evolutionary process that could produce a clinal pattern in an inversion sequence?
3. Describe a more complicated evolutionary process that account for a clinal pattern in an inversion sequence?
4. Which of these hypotheses is supported by this research and why?
5. What is the significance of observation that the slope of the regression line between the inversion polymorphism and latitude has not changed but the intercept is shifted up (referred to as “elevation”)?