Conflicts between plants and pollinators that reproduce within inflorescences: Evolutionary variations on a theme
Dufay and Anstett 2003
1. Why is it difficult to develop a general theory about how mutualisms evolve? Give examples.
2. What is a nursery pollination mutualism and how do the costs and benefits differ from a more standard pollination scenario?
3. Why do plants allow the pollinatorís offspring to destroy their own offspring?† Why donít they kill the larvae?
4. Why do pollinators waste time and energy visiting deceptive flowers that donít offer any rewards?
5. What selective forces promote efficient pollination from both the plantís perspective and the pollinatorís perspective?