Elena and Lenski 2003. Evolution experiments with microorganisms: The dynamics and genetic bases of adaptation. Nature Reviews 4: 457-469.
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of conducting evolutionary experiments in the lab versus the field?
2. Why does fitness continue to improve in selection experiments that are conducted for a long time (e.g. > 15,000 generations)?
3. Is it surprising to you that parallel evolution is frequently observed among replicate experimental lines? Why or why not?
4. What are the possible mechanisms that produce tradeoffs across environments? Which of these hypotheses do you find most compelling and why?
5. What is meant by genetic decay and why does it happen?