(Quick Quiz Questions)
Hughes et al. 2002. A test of evolutionary theories of aging. PNAS 99:14286-14291
1. Describe the two evolutionary theories of aging that are tested in this paper and discuss the key way in which their predictions differ.
2. Why should additive genetic variance increase if either the mutation accumulation mechanism or the antagonistic pleiotropy mechanism of aging is operating?
3. Why should the expression of inbreeding depression increase with age if the mutation accumulation mechanism is operating?
4. Why were genetic correlations calculated (Table 5)?
5. Why do you think there are such conflicting conclusions on the causes of aging as are reviewed in this paper?