Lukas, Verheyen and Meyer. 1999. Replicated evolution of trophic specializations in an endemic
cichlid fish lineage from Lake Tanganyika. PNAS 95:10230–10235
1. Why do the topologies of morphological and molecular trees conflict in this study?
2. What is phenotypic plasticity and why do the authors argue that it is not likely an explanation for the morphological patterns they observe?
3. Why do the authors argue that hybridization is not a likely explanation for the morphological patterns they observe?
4. How does biogeographic information contribute to our understanding of the morphological and genetic patterns that are observed?
5. Describe an experiment that you might do to follow up on an unresolved question emanating from this work? (e.g. What is the unresolved issue? How would you test it?)
6. BONUS QUESTION! Since when did fish come in “flocks?”