Reznick et al. 1990. Experimentally induce life history evolution in a natural population. Nature 346:357.
1. What is the fundamental tradeoff examined in this study and how to do the results inform our understanding of this kind of tradeoff?
2. What are some fundamental tradeoffs between field and lab studies to examine life history tradeoffs? Support your answer with experimental approaches described in this paper.
3. How do the authors know that they are examining genetically based differences and not plastic responses to the environment?
4. What are long-term studies valuable but so rarely conducted?
5. Is new research always better than old research? Why or why not?