CS 1011 Homework #13
Due May 5, 2003
Chapter 12: Security and Privacy
Fill In The Blank (1/2 point each)
- The term ______________ describes a potentially damaging computer program that affects, or infects, your computer negatively by altering the way the computer works without
- A ______________ ______________ is a virus that activates when it detects a certain condition.
- A ______________ is a malicious-logic program that copies itself repeatedly in memory or on a disk drive until no memory or disk space remains.
- A _____________ _______________ authenticates a person's identity by verifying personal characteristics.
- An _________________ ________________ is a security measure that defines who can access a computer.
- A _______________ ___________________ provides specific conditions for use of software.
- ___________________ ________________ occurs when someone steals personal or confidential information.
- ____________________ is the process of converting readable data into unreadable characters.
- The term ______________ originally described a computer enthusiast, but now is associated with illegal computer activity.
- _______________ is a program placed on a computer without the userís knowledge that secretly collects information about the user.
Short Answer (1 point each)
- What are the steps in a disaster recovery plan?
- What is the purpose of encryption?.
- What is a cookie? What are some advantages and disadvantages of cookies?
- What is a denial of service (DoS) attack? How does it work?
- Describe four ways to safeguard your personal information.