How to Use this Site: The Business Research Launch Pad
Welcome to Jim Vileta's Business Research Launch Pad!
The purpose of the "Launch Pad" is to bring together the major resources we have for business research in one place, and to organize them for ease of access.
We have organized our resources in a number of ways.
First, notice our Left Navigation column. Below we describe each section of this Left Column:
- Research Guides (these are special pages that have been put together to provide basic starting points for students working on class assignments in particular courses. These guides are arranged by course number and instructor name. The sources listed here are geared to particular assignments.)
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Business Research Questions (located here are over 60 frequently asked business research questions along with the sources recommended to answer these questions. Look these over to see if what you need is addressed here. These are great starting points.)
- By Alphabet (This page allow one to find any page on the Launch Pad site by name of page. This list is in alphabetical order.))
- Launch Pad by LSBE Department (here are listed major sources relevant to each LSBE Department - these are sources that anyone doing research from that department should know.)
- Citing Your Sources (provides examples of how to cite Kathryn A. Martin Library electronic resources using APA style. Links to other APA citing sources provided as well.)
- Companies (Do you want information about companies? Look here. See also some of the starting points in our FAQ section.)
- Demographics & Statistics (Do you want Demographic or statistical information? Comprehensive links are here. See also our FAQs for starting points.)
- Industry (Do you want information about an industry? Look here for comprehensive links and use our FAQs for starting points.)
- International (Do you want information international business? Look here for comprehensive links, and look at our FAQs for some useful starting points.)
- Local (Are you looking for business information on a state or local level? Comprehensive links are here. Our FAQs have good starting points.)
- Misc. Launch Pad Topics (These are a variety of business resources organized by topic or theme. Unlike the FAQs, (mentioned above) which are starting points, these Launch Pad Topic pages tend to be more comprehensive in scope.)
- Reference (this section has key reference sources researchers should know. Note in particular the "Key Reference Books" and the "New Strategist" sections.)
- Search (in this "Search" section you will see the major sources to search for books, videos, and websites. Google Scholar is listed here and it is our best all-in-one source for searching for scholarly information. It is linked to Library electronic resources via our "FindIt" service.
- Kathryn A. Martin Library (here you will find important features of the Library website that everyone should know.)
Now, moving from the Left Column to contents of the "Launch Pad's" home page, below the link to this page, we have the following links:
Starting Points: "Which Sources should I Use?" (this page provides a narrative outlining the types of information resources found in business research, and linking those to the databases that provide that information.)
Below "Starting Points," you will find a button link to our "FAQs for Business Research"and below that, a button link to our "Research Guides for LSBE Assignments."These are the same links as on the Left Column, and they are listed twice because of their importance. Next is listed “Your Library at a Glance,” showing links to Kathryn A. Martin Library collections, services and locations. Next are links to “You Want to Find Books?”, and then, “You Want to Find Articles?” and then “How to Find the Business Databases?”
Also included on this page are links to:
- LSBE Library Essentials, (listing the most important databases);
- Key Reference Books, (listing over 200 vital reference works);
- New Strategist Publications, (listing a great source of demographic information);
- “What We Do,” (a multimedia clip that describes our research services);
- my "classic" home page, which still has utility for some researchers;
- a map to locate my office;
- a rotating ad that displays featured sources;
If you could use additional help navigating my Business Research Launch Pad, make an appointment to come see me in my office. I am happy to answer your questions.
Last Update: April 24, 2018