Course Information and Links:
Go to the Moodle Link to see your sequence of assignments as well as where you can download your assignments to me.
The purpose of this internship is for students to spend an entire semester applying and refining their academic and field training in a real-world, professional setting. This internship experience involves not only the actual experience, but reflecting on and learning from the expereince through related assignments. This is a final, capstone experience, similar to a student-teaching experience for those preparing to become classroom teachers. Internships are worth 12 credits and carry an equivalent workload of 40 hours/week for 15 weeks (600 hours). Internships should be completed within a single semester. Your internship will typically be your last semester of the program.
1. Planning your Internship (including "Agreement of Affiliation" form) . Please note the list of Internship site sources listed below.
**BACKGROUND CHECK: You MUST have a background check condcuted by UMD. Read the attached letter for information on the background check.
2. Registering for your Internship: After submitting the signed orignal plus three copies of the "Agreement of Affiliation" to your advisor, you will be given a permission number to register for your internship. You need to register for all credits for the term that you are actually doing your internship. If you internship will be in a site further than 75 miles from Duluth, ask your advisor for a Request for Waiver of Student Service Fee.
3. Professional Expectations during your Internship.
4. Assignments during your Internship. Complete this checklist prior to the start of your internship.
5. Grading: Internships are currently graded as pass/no-pass. NOTE: Failure to submit completed work according to the timeline specified with each assignment (with the last due date being the end of Week 15) will result in a "no-pass" grade; you will be required to repeat your internship if you receive a "no-pass" grade!
Examples of Student Work (Scroll down to the bottom of Dr. Ernst's page)
How to contact me:
UMD Dept. HPER
1216 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812
phone: (218) 726-6258
fax: (218) 726-6243