THE STUDENT'S ROLE IN A STRUCTURED ACADEMIC CONFLICT
(Aikenhead, 1988, p 20-21)
The student's role can be summarized by the
- I am critical of ideas, not people.
- I focus on making the best decision possible,
- I encourage everyone to participate and
master all the relevant information.
- I listen to everyone's ideas, even if
I do not agree.
- I restate what some one has said if it
is not clear.
- I first consider all the ideas and facts
supporting both sides, and then I try to put them together in
a way that makes sense.
- I try to understand both sides of the
- I change my mind when the evidence clearly
indicates that I should do so.