[webdev] Web Design Update: April 7, 2006

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Apr 7 06:36:43 CDT 2006

++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 4, Issue 42, April 7, 2006.

03: DREAMWEAVER.
06: FLASH.
07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
13: TOOLS.
14: TYPOGRAPHY.
15: USABILITY.
16: XML.

Levels of Accessibility
By Mike Cherim.
"...The moral of this story is simple. There is a black-ish end of
accessibility and a white-ish end, with rivers of gray running in
between. Your site, our site, all sites lie somewhere in this gray
area. We've yet to see a site that is 100% accessible (we're saying
this thinking in broad- and individual user-terms this time), and it
seems even the worst sites are accessible to some degree - conversely,
it's just like some of the best site being inaccessible. Thus the
question shouldn't be if a site is accessible (again, it's a bad
question), but rather how accessible it is. It's a goal one doesn't
simply reach or not reach, it's more a matter of how many barriers are
removed and what considerations are made [Read as: How much you care
and how much effort you put forth]. What's its level of accessibility?
Just like our litter-bug analogy suggests, it's there, somewhere, in
the gray. But remember that every little bit helps. And we feel credit
earned is credit due when developers make an effort..."
http://accessites.org/gbcms_xml/news_page.php?id=11

A Journey Through Accessibility
By Roberto Scano.
"From 'tag generation' to the 'WYSIWOYS generation'. Roberto Scano
identifies web accessibility problems throughout the web generations,
and summarizes where we are now, and what we can expect for the future."
http://juicystudio.com/article/journey-through-accessibility.php

Web Designers Still Failing Disabled People
By John Coutts.
"'It's easy for designers and commissioners to be seduced by the
opportunities that software provides to create visually stunning
designs, while forgetting about the audience,' says Julie Howell,
digital policy development manager for the Royal National Institute of
the Blind (RNIB) and technical author of the new guidance. 'One of the
main principles of PAS 78 is the creation of an accessibility policy.
Site commissioners should think about the audience at the beginning of
the design process and should put into writing a clear policy on who
they are trying to reach and how they intend to ensure that those
people are reached.'
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1731405,00.html

Provide Text Equivalents for Audio - General Advice on Captions
By Skills For Access.
"Video content that contains spoken or other audio information (for
example on-or off-screen sound effects, or background music) that is
important to understanding the video's content will present access
barriers to anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing and unable to hear
the video's soundtrack. The same problem will also be encountered by
anyone accessing the video using a computer without a soundcard and/or
speakers, or in a noisy environment, or where no sound is permitted.
Therefore an alternative to the information provided in audio format is
required to make the media accessible to these groups..."
http://www.skillsforaccess.org.uk/howto.php?id=103

Provide Text Equivalents for Audio - General Advice on Transcripts
By Skills For Access.
"...There are two accessibility solutions for this barrier. The most
equitable option is to provide the video content with captions and
audio descriptions..."
http://www.skillsforaccess.org.uk/howto.php?id=102

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Learn CSS Positioning in Ten Steps
By BarelyFitz Designs.
"This tutorial examines the different layout properties available in
CSS: position:static, position:relative, position:absolute, and float."
http://barelyfitz.com/screencast/html-training/css/positioning/

Accessible CSS Forms: Using CSS to Create a Two-Column Layout
By Andrew B. King.
"Websites have become less accessible and more complex over time
according to recent studies. Learn how to buck the trend by creating
fast, accessible CSS forms that work with modern browsers and
gracefully degrade."
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/forms/

Notes on Suggesting Link Styles
By David Baron.
"The correct way to suggest styles for links is complicated because of
both browser bugs and differences between CSS1 and CSS2. In CSS1..."
http://www.dbaron.org/css/1999/09/links

Let's Focus on Focus
By Mike Cherim.
"I surf around the web and check out all sorts of cool sites on any
given day. And gladly I report I do see a greater number of accessible,
usable sites that look great -- a beneficial trend. I visit some really
fine websites that qualify for an A or two. Being so, you might
understand when I say that it strikes me as a bit of an oddity when I
see no link focus. What's up with that? I ask myself. It's so simple to
do."
http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=93

You've Come A Long Way, Baby... No
By Alex Walker.
"As fun as it is to pontificate about microformats, structured markup
and the semantic web, in the past week two item have brought home to me
how far the leading edge of web thinking is ahead of 'Joe in the
street'."
http://tinyurl.com/g5f44

+03: DREAMWEAVER.

Tableless Layouts with Dreamweaver 8
By Stephanie Sullivan.
"...Though this article is about building a simple site without tables,
I'm first going to cover how I personally set up Dreamweaver to write
clean code. Your mileage may vary..."
http://tinyurl.com/fymnf

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

When Getting the Job Done Isn't Enough...
By Kath Straub.
"Kath Straub, Ph.D., CUA, HFI's Chief Scientist, looks at how the types
of
data you collect in a usability test can effect the impact of your
redesign
recommendations."
http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/mar06.asp

Usability Testing with Children
By Tim Fidgeon.
"Usability testing with children can prevent some unique challenges -
find out what exactly these are and what you need to do."
http://tinyurl.com/hkpth

Show Me Eye Tracking
By etre.
This is a eye tracking demo. "...Here's a user interacting with a
website. The blue dots show his eye fixations, while the connecting
blue lines illustrate his eye movements. This information shows us
where he looks, what he pays the most attention to, and most
importantly, what he misses..."
http://www.etre.com/usability/eyetracking/showme/

Remote Usability Testing
By Interno Tredici.
"...The diffusion of screen sharing software and remote control
applications is slowly changing how usability evaluations are
conducting because usability experts can now interact with users
geographically distant and with different cultural backgrounds.
Moreover Internet and fast broadband connection strengthen the ability
to deploy high quality videos and makes user observation more accurate
for usability evaluators. With this premises we can define remote
usability testing as a technique that exploits user home (or office!),
transforming it into an usability laboratory where user observation can
be done with screen sharing applications..."
http://www.internotredici.com/article/remoteusabilitytesting

+05: EVENTS.

C and O '06:
Context and Ontologies: Theory, Practice and Applications
August 28, 2006.
Riva del Garda, Italy
http://www.c-and-o.net/

User Interfaces For All
September 27-28, 2006.
Konigswinter (Bonn), Germany
http://www.ui4all.gr/workshop2006/

+06: FLASH.

Flash Interaction Disabled in Internet Explorer
By Robert Nyman.
"Although news of this has been around for a while, many people seem to
have missed it and/or didn't think it was worth reading up on. On the
contrary, the implications of this are huge and will most likely affect
a lot of web sites. Due to the patent case with Eolas, Microsoft has
been forced to update how ActiveX components behave in web pages..."
http://tinyurl.com/n3qf9

+07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Rethinking EIA: Becoming Information Ecologists
By Rob Fay.
"This post attempts to rethink Enterprise Information Architecture
(EIA) and argues that information architecture need not be constrained
to designing structures and managing content as it relates to the Web
or for any electronic system for that matter. Instead, I argue that an
enterprise information architect might also be called, as Thomas
Davenport coins it, an 'Information Ecologist'."
http://robfay.com/2006/04/01/rethinking-eia/

IA Summit 2006 Presentations and Downloads
By iasummit.org.
This will keep you going for a while.
http://iasummit.org/2006/conferencedescrip.htm

Social Information Architecture, Sorting, and Tagging
By Christian Crumlish.
"Here are my raw notes from Rashmi Sinha's talk at the IA Summit,
'Sorting, Tagging and Social Information Architecture' or The Missing
Chapter in the Polar Bear Book."
http://tinyurl.com/lrjmj

Information Architecture Library
By Information Architecture Institute.
"Welcome to the IA Library. The IA Library is a selection of resources
related to the field of information architecture. The collection
includes articles, books, blogs, and more."
http://iainstitute.org/library/

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

Don't Use Javascript to Hide Bad Markup
By Stuart Colville.
"In a recent post on 456 Berea Street, Jeff Croft made a very valid
comment suggesting that using JavaScript to create invalid markup was
no better than writing invalid markup in the first place. This is
something I totally agree with. The rising popularity of JavaScript
following the buzz surrounding by Ajax has meant more and more sites
are using javascript more fully, but it's important that developers
don't get sloppy just because modifications to the document aren't
visible in the source..."
http://tinyurl.com/qzbo5

OOJS - Overhyped and Overcomplicating
By David Andersson (liorean).
"Yeah, it's blasphemous. But I said it, and I'll clarify it a bit: I
see practically no use for writing object oriented code in
JavaScript..."
http://web-graphics.com/mtarchive/001728.php

The XMLHttpRequest Object
By W3C.
"This specification defines the XMLHttpRequest  object, an API that
provides some HTTP client functionality."
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/

See How the XMLHttpRequest Object is the Heart and Soul of AJAX
By Tony Patton.
"Here's an example that demonstrates the elegance and simplicity of
using the XMLHttpRequest object. Tony Patton also explores how the
XMLHttpRequest object opens the door to many other uses that can
improve the user experience."
http://builder.com.com/5100-6371_14-6056954.html

+09: MISCELLANEOUS.

The Future of the Web
By Tim Berners Lee, Oxford Internet Institute Webcasts.
"The development of Web technology has been an exciting ride, a series
of socially motivated technical innovations some languishing, others
catching on in a viral way. As each development has suggested many new
ones, and much of the original vision is still unfulfilled, there is a
lot to do. This talk will discuss new challenges and hopes for weblike
systems on the net."
http://webcast.oii.ox.ac.uk/?view=Webcast&ID=20060314_139

+10: NAVIGATION.

Identifying Missing Trigger Words from Search Logs
By Jared Spool.
"Jared comments on Eric Scheid's idea for a search log analysis tool
that can help identify missing trigger words."
http://tinyurl.com/pb6mk

Search Engine Optimization Basics, Part 1:
Improve Your Standing in Search Engines
By L. Jennette Banks.
"Making your Web site attractive to search engines is a key factor for
your success as a Web site developer. Get the basic information you
need to organically optimize your Web site in this four-part series. In
Part 1, you'll receive a foundation in search engine optimization so
you can organically optimize your Web site and create Web pages that
are usable, accessible, and friendly to search engines."
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-seo1.html

Search Engine Optimization Basics, Part 2:
SEO Keyword and Infrastructure Strategies
By L. Jennette Banks.
"Making your Web site attractive to search engines is a key factor for
your success as a Web site developer. Get the basic information you
need to organically optimize your Web site in this four-part series. In
Part 1, you learned the background of why white hat SEO is good for
your site. In Part 2, you'll start optimizing. You'll create a strategy
for choosing and optimizing your keywords from the top-left-down and
learn more about other factors that can influence your success in
search engines."
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-seo2/

Search Engine Optimization Basics, Part  3:
Get Your Web Pages into Search Indexes
By Mike Moran and Bill Hunt.
"Making your Web site attractive to search engines is a key factor for
your success as a Web site developer. Get the basic information you
need to organically optimize your Web site in this four-part series. In
Part 3 of the series, you'll learn how to get the pages of your Web
site into the search indexes."
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-seo3.html

Search Engine Optimization Basics, Part 4: Improve Search Marketing for
Large Sites
By Mike Moran and Bill Hunt.
"Making your Web site obvious to search engines is a key factor for
your success as a Web site developer. Get the basic information you
need to organically optimize your Web site in this four-part series. In
this final part of the series, learn specialized techniques for large
Web sites or sites with many dynamic pages."
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-seo4.html

Web Navigation Is About Moving Forward
By Gerry McGovern.
"The primary purpose of web navigation is to help people to move
forward. It is not to tell them where they have been, or where they
could have gone..."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2006/nt-2006-04-02-web-navigation.htm

The 3-Click Rule
By The Best Practice.
"Q: I understand that an efficient website should allow visitors to
find a product within three clicks. Is this true?"
http://www.thebestpractice.com/BOTLN/bl_intk_602.html

+11: PHP.

Collections and Sorting
By David Fells.
"PHP has only a limited ability to support collections in the way that
other programming languages such as C# and Java do, as far as the
manner of access. This article navigates one possible solution..."
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/Collections-and-Sorting/

+12: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

But It Validates!
By Jon Christopher.
"... I...now know that having valid markup is one of the core criteria
for a good end product. Many people have also come to this realization,
but the problem is - many have also stopped there. A lot of developers
feel that having the W3C Validator tell you that your markup is valid
is enough, that you can now move on to the next phase of your project.
Passing validation is great, but it is merely a single part of the
process. An example is that even though tabular layouts are considered
valid, they are still frowned upon..."
http://www.mondaybynoon.com/2006/04/03/but-it-validates/

Spiffy Markup?
By Ian Lloyd.
"Tell me, what is spiffy about this markup?"
http://www.webstandards.org/2006/04/05/am-i-spiffy-or-not/

+13: TOOLS.

CSSTweak
By Andy Peatling.
"CSS Tweak will take your CSS and optimize it so that file sizes and
download times are reduced. There are a number of simple options for
tweaking, here's a brief overview of each one..."
http://www.cssdev.com/csstweak/

+14: TYPOGRAPHY.

Five Simple Steps to Typesetting on the Web: Printing the Web
By Mark Boulton.
"The screen is just one of the media types for which we have to design
for. Another media type, which I feel is often neglected as part of the
design process for a web site, is print. There are times when a web
designer has to know about print design. Not just the values and
aesthetics of designing for print, but the terminology, measurements
and production values that are important in print design - including
typesetting. I'll be addressing these, along with a working examples
over the course of the next three installments of this 'Simple Steps'
series."
http://tinyurl.com/hnzrv

Don't Alter the Widths or Shapes or Letters Without Cause
By Richard Rutter.
"In the world of digital type, it is very easy for a designer or
compositor with no regard for letters to squish them into cattle trains
and ship them to slaughter."
http://webtypography.net/Rhythm_and_Proportion/Horizontal_Motion/2.1.9/

+15: USABILITY.

Hyped Web Stories Are Irrelevant
By Jakob Nielsen.
"The fads and big deals that get the press coverage are not important
for
running a workhorse website. To serve your customers, it's far better to
emphasize simplicity and quality than to chase buzzwords...The most
important story of them all gets almost no hype: we're seeing more and
more simple websites that meet customers' needs and thus generate
substantial business value. Often the sites that do nothing special are
the best: it's more important to focus on doing things right than to
chase the latest fad."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/hype.html

Home Page Googlization
By Jared Spool.
"All the evidence we have tells us, most of the time, users want to
find strong trigger words to click on, not a box to type their trigger
word into. When the trigger words are present on the page, users are
far more likely to succeed. As designers, we need to focus on design
solutions that make trigger words more prevalent, not less."
http://www.uie.com/brainsparks/2006/04/05/home-page-googlization/

The Ugly Conversation
By Josh Lehman.
"A short summary of the ugly vs beautiful debate in web design..."
http://www.filemeaway.com/archives/2006/03/the_ugly_conver.php

+16: XML.

XForms Meets Ajax: Can They Get Along?
By Rich Seeley.
"When the W3C released a second edition of XForms this month as a
recommendation for 'new generation of Web forms,' the question that
begged to be asked was where does this fit into the Web development
world where Ajax is the hot technology?"
http://tinyurl.com/nzfcx

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu