[webdev] Web Design Update: September 1, 2006

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 1 06:35:32 CDT 2006

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 5, Issue 10, September 1, 2006.

11: XML.

Computer Science Majors Get Tools To Build Accessibility Into Software
By K. C. Jones.
"IBM has announced a program to give computer science majors the
technical skills to develop or adapt computer programs for people with
special needs. The program aims to improve access to Internet and
workplace technologies for people with disabilities, the aging, and
non-native language speakers. IBM's new Web-based lecture teaches
techniques to make electronic documents and the Web more accessible..."
http://tinyurl.com/hagfh

Accessibility: Standards Versus Testing
By Jonathan Kahn.
"...I argue that the state of adaptive technology today can be compared
to the state of the 4.0 web browsers. I'll attempt to demonstrate this
with two examples: image replacement and Ajax..."
http://lucidplot.com/2006/08/29/standards-vs-testing/

Accessibility Testing Methodology
By Sandra Clark.
"Part of the problem with testing for web accessibility is the fact
that while people want an easy way to do it, so much of accessibility
is subjective that it is impossible for a program to test correctly for
everything. This is why using online testers like 'Bobby' were such a
nightmare. While you can use Bobby to tell you that every image tag has
an alt attribute, there is no way for an automated testing program to
tell whether the information in the alt tag conforms to what the image
actually presents...s"
http://www.shayna.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.display_entry&id=149

HTML Compatibility Chart
By Ian Lloyd.
Partial list of HTML elements with user agent support notes.
http://juicystudio.com/wcag/html/

Accessibility Follow-Up
By Jeff Croft.
"...I just want to reiterate my original points, remove the extraneous
ranting, and see if I can't make myself perfectly clear. Please do read
on..."
http://www2.jeffcroft.com/2006/aug/24/accessibility-follow-up/

Welcome to Accessibility Club
By James Bennett.
"...Web accessibility is a deep and complex subject, and - pardon the
pun - not always a very accessible one. There are lots of things which
can impair someone’s use of the web, in lots of different ways, and
some are more common than others. A lot of accessibility guidelines
have been propagated over the years based on anecdotal evidence or on
hypothetical considerations...What solid research there is on the topic
can be hard to find at times, and hard to understand when you do find
it. Many of the laws regarding web accessibility are horrendously
vague. And no matter how hard you try to get it right, there’s probably
going to be an *** somewhere who will be all too happy to crucify you
over a particular trade-off you decided not to make. But that doesn't
mean we should give up. It means we should be willing to adapt, willing
to share what we know in a civilized manner, willing to make the
trade-offs we can afford to make, willing to ignore the inevitable
rogue...and, above all, willing to learn."
http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2006/08/25/lets-talk-about-accessibility

Math Description Engine
By National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
"The Math Description Engine Software Development Kit can be used by
software developers to make computer-rendered graphs more accessible to
blind and visually-impaired users. It has a simple API that lets you
easily add alternative text and sound descriptions to your graphs..."
http://prime.jsc.nasa.gov/mde/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Create Columns with Floats
By Zoe Gillenwater.
"Floating is the primary method for laying out pages using CSS. In this
tutorial, you'll learn how to create the look of columns using the
float, width and margin properties. You'll learn the principles for
creating both liquid and fixed-width layouts of as many columns as you
like."
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=F41AE

CSS Mastery: Page Layout
By Andy Budd, Cameron Moll and Simon Collison.
"One of the major benefits of CSS is the ability to control page layout
without needing to use presentational markup. This week you'll learn
how to horizontally center a design on a page, create two and three
column float based layouts and more."
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/css_mastery/

IE7, Web Standards and CSS Support
By Jesper Ronn-Jensen.
"The Internet Explorer team is preparing to ship the next major version
of the world's most popular browser. The IE team has written an update
on which CSS bug fixes that will make it into the final release..."
http://justaddwater.dk/2006/08/28/ie-7-web-standards-and-css-support/

Advanced HTML Tables and CSS Tutorial
By Mark Lynch.
"People new to HTML should be able to follow this tutorial from start
to finish and learn how to use tables effectively in your websites.
Advanced users can probably skim the 1st few pages but will hopefully
learn something from the later parts..."
http://www.lynchconsulting.com.au/go/articles/advanced-tables-tutorial/

Unitless line-height Bug in Mozilla and Firefox
By Roger Johansson.
"When Eric Meyer posted Unitless line-heights (you do not need to use a
unit when specifying line-height in CSS) earlier this year, I knew that
at some point I had run into problems with that..."
http://tinyurl.com/kdkz4

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Why Doing User Observations First is Wrong
By Donald Norman.
"Usability testing is like Beta testing of software. It should never be
used to determine 'what users need'. It is for catching bugs, and so
this kind of usability testing still fits the new, iterative
programming models, just as Beta testing for software bugs fits the
models. I have long maintained that any company proud of its usability
testing is a company in trouble, just as a company proud of its Beta
testing is in trouble. UI and Beta testing are meant simply to find
bugs, not to redesign."
http://tinyurl.com/fccgk

Page Views are Obsolete
By Evan Williams.
"...In summary, there's no easy solution. There's a big opportunity
(though very tough job) for someone to come up with a meaningful metric
that weighs a bunch of factors. But no matter what, there will come a
time when no one who wants to be taken seriously will talk about their
web traffic in terms of 'page views' any more than one would brag about
their 'hits' today."
http://evhead.com/2006/08/pageviews-are-obsolete.asp

+04: EVENTS.

Card Sorting From the Bottom Up (and the Top Down)
September 14, 2006.
Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.
http://www.upamn.org/minutes/2006/event20060914.shtml

Best Practices of Web Design with Web 2.0 for Business Conference
October 18-19, 2006.
Boston Massachusetts U.S.A.
http://www.joinwow.org/community/events/websummit10/

An Event Apart: Deep In the Heart Of Texas
November 6, 2006.
Austin, Texas  U.S.A.
http://www.aneventapart.com/news/2006/08/deep_in_the_heart_of_texas.php

International Day of Disabled Persons
Theme: E-Accessibility
December 3, 2006.
http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/disiddp.htm

Illinois Center for Instructional Technology Accessibility Courses
http://www.cita.uiuc.edu/courses/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

Event Handling in JavaScript - an Alternative addEvent Solution
By Robert Nyman.
"Event handling in JavaScript has been an issue for many web
developers, and countless of people have made their stab of solving it.
When I wrote my post AJAX, JavaScript and accessibility some commenters
were asking for a follow-up post explaining event handling in
JavaScript. My idea here is to give you a basic background and to also
tell you about a new and interesting solution. So, let's take this from
the beginning. What's the problem with event handling in JavaScript?..."
http://tinyurl.com/gj7an

Shortening Strings to a Fixed Length in JavaScript
By Christian Heilmann.
"I have this function I've used for quite a long time to shorten a
string to a fixed amount of characters without breaking in between
words..."
http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=324

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

The Paradox of Choice: An Interview with Barry Schwartz
By Jared M. Spool.
"...Barry is a leading authority on the ways that business, economics
and psychology intersect. UIE's Jared M. Spool recently had the chance
to talk with Barry about his research on how people make choices. You
can listen to the podcast of the interview on the Brain Sparks blog.
Here's the transcript of the interview: "
http://tinyurl.com/m7c2w

The Programmer's Bill of Rights
By Jeff Atwood.
"It's unbelievable to me that a company would pay a developer $60-$100k
in salary, yet cripple him or her with terrible working conditions and
crusty hand-me-down hardware. This makes no business sense whatsoever.
And yet I see it all the time. It's shocking how many companies still
don't provide software developers with the essential things they need
to succeed....two monitors...a fast PC...choice of mouse and
keyboard... a comfortable chair...a fast internet connection...quiet
working conditions..."

Use Old Words When Writing for Findability
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Familiar words spring to mind when users create their search queries.
If your writing favors made-up terms over legacy words, users won't
find your site."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/search-keywords.html

+08: PHP.

What are Database Driven Websites (Podcast)
By Stefan Mischook.
"A quick podcast where I explain the basics behind what database driven
websites are. This podcast targets total beginners."
http://www.killersites.com/blog/2006/database-driven-websites-podcast/

Uploading Files and Navigating Directories in PHP
By Jacques Noah.
"In this article we are going to look at how to upload files and also
how to navigate through directories. It is the second part of a
tutorial that began last week with 'Reading, Writing, and Creating
Files in PHP'."
http://tinyurl.com/g6849

+09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

WaSP Interviews Blake Elshire
By Rob Dickerson.
"As a student of Interactive Media Design at the Art Institute of
Dallas, Texas, Blake Elshire learned CSS as part of his course, then
discovered that not all students were quite as charmed by the
technology as he was. He shares his thoughts and insights with WaSP
EduTF."
http://www.webstandards.org/action/edutf/interviews/elshire/

Accessible WYSIWYG Editors, Part 1 - The Problem
By Alastair Campbell.
"There is an elephant in the corner type of problem in the
accessibility world, even worse than the problems with PDFs. I'd like
to outline this problem, and define what a solution would be, even if
it doesn't exist yet...The elephant in the corner, the big problem is
that: It is not possible to create an accessible and usable web-based
editor..."
http://alastairc.ac/2006/08/accessible-wysiwyg-editors/

+10: USABILITY.

How to Redesign a Website
By net.
"Most designers would jump at the chance to revisit their work but what
is the right motivation for a site redesign and how should the process
actually work?"
http://www.netmag.co.uk/zine/home/how-to-redesign-a-website

Progressive Development: Stop Postponing Joy!
By Steven Champeon.
"...Progressive Development is the revolution of evolution. Instead of
shocking changes, it provides constant, gradual changes that are better
for users and for business. It builds on sound, standards-based
construction techniques. And it saves money..."
http://tinyurl.com/kw2j2

Ugliness, Social Design, and the MySpace Lesson
By Joshua Porter.
"I've been attempting the impossible: trying to get a clear picture of
the whole MySpace/Ugly issue...Design all about use. Most web sites
exist to be used (and many to make money) and if yours doesn't have
people using it then it's not designed well...One distinction we can
make is between the visual and social design of MySpace. The visual
design, though it communicates what it needs to ('this is your social
life'), is objectively ugly as it doesn't follow nearly any established
visual design principles like balance, symmetry, and harmony. That's
OK, as far as it goes. But the design of the social element of the
site, the community aspects like the appearance of Tom as a friend in
every profile, is amazing. Little touches like that make people feel
right at home, as does the site's ability to react to its audience
quickly. This is great social web design. Bad visual design. Good
social design..."
http://bokardo.com/archives/do-myspace-users-have-bad-taste/

Ugly
By Ze Frank.
"...Ugly when compared to pre-existing notions of taste is a bummer.
But ugly as a representation of mass experimentation and learning is
pretty damn cool. Regardless of what you might think, the actions you
take to make your MySpace page ugly are pretty sophisticated. Over
time, as consumer-created media engulfs the other kind, it's possible
that completely new norms develop around the notions of talent and
artistic ability."
http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/07/071406.html

The Benefits of Footnotes in Webpages
By Jesper Tverskov.
"Good old footnotes are undervalued in webpages. Even serious
commentary and longer articles and reports often use mediocre tooltips
made with the title attribute as a poor substitute. Footnotes are much
more usable and accessible..."
http://www.smackthemouse.com/footnotes

The End of Deference and the Rise of Customer Power
By Gerry McGovern.
"The Web empowers the customer more than it empowers the organization.
This shift in power is only beginning to be felt."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2006/nt-2006-08-28-deference.htm

Poor Usability Implicated in Rejection of Mobile Internet
By Ann Light.
How usability can impact mobiles...'Three quarters (73%) of people with
access to the Internet through their mobile phone are not taking
advantage of it. Amongst the reasons for not using mobile Internet were
being frustrated by slow-loading pages (38%), problems with navigating
websites from a phone or PDA (27%) and some websites being completely
unavailable on mobile phones (25%).'..."
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article3357.asp

How to Write Technical Documentation
By Jeff Atwood.
"I was browsing around the CouchDb wiki yesterday when I saw Damien
Katz' hilarious description of how technical documentation really gets
written. You know, in the real world..."

+11: XML.

The Big Picture on Microformats
By John Allsopp.
"You've heard the buzz about microformats, and you've probably been
meaning to use them on your sites--perhaps they're sitting somewhere
near the bottom of your list of things to do. In his new article, John
Allsopp gives us a snapshot of what's happening with
microformats today, and he challenges us all to move them closer to the
top of the pile."
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/the_big_picture_on_microformats/

Add Microformats Magic to Your Site
By John Allsopp.
"Heard of the semantic web? Using Microformats everyone can contribute
to the richness of the web. John Allsopp explains how."
http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/design/how-to-use-microformats

Microformatique
A microformats blog.
http://microformatique.com/

Why XHTML is a Bad Idea
By Emil Stenstrom.
"XHTML is often mentioned when you talk about web standards of
different kinds, and many believe that it's the future of the web. I'm
of a different opinion and this article explains my reasoning..."
http://friendlybit.com/html/why-xhtml-is-a-bad-idea/

IBM Not Happy at All
By Daniel Glazman.
"...Let me translate that into more human-readable form...if we cannot
defeat WebForms immediately, let's use 'guerilla warfare tactics'
ourselves and burry it under W3C process and compromises. We'll make
XForms percolate into WebForms and in the meantime, XForms
implementations will be everywhere and we'll beat WebForms. We're a big
company with big power and forces, we surely can do that, we already
did it."
http://tinyurl.com/fjkky

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu