[webdev] Web Design Update: July 19, 2007

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Jul 19 06:26:13 CDT 2007

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 6, Issue 04, July 19, 2007.

03: COLOR.
09: TYPOGRAPHY.

Beijing 2008 Part One: Accessibility
By Henny Swan.
"...What follows is a snapshot look at the Beijing 2008 site to see how
accessible it is for users with hearing, mobility, cognitive and visual
impairments. Unable to look at the site in detail I decided to see what
insight I could get from looking at the home page and a couple of other
keys pages such as results pages..."
http://tinyurl.com/26k8f7

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Conflicting Absolute Positions
By Rob Swan.
"All right, class. Using CSS, produce a liquid layout that contains a
fixed-width, scrolling side panel and a flexible, scrolling main panel.
Okay, now do it without JavaScript. By chucking an assumption about how
CSS works in browsers, Rob Swan provides the way and means."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/conflictingabsolutepositions

Using CSS 3 Selectors to Apply Link Icons
By Peter Gasston.
"I mentioned earlier this year a tutorial which shows how to use CSS 3
selectors for marking up hyperlinks. Of course, you don't need to limit
yourself to just hyperlinks; with CSS 3 attribute selectors, you can
use the same technique for any tag which has an attribute. I'm going to
give a couple of quick examples, which will output the following result
(of course, you'll need a browser better than IE6 to see them!)..."
http://www.css3.info/using-css-3-selectors-to-apply-link-icons/

CSS3 Properties Tests for Webkit Based Browsers, Including the iPhone
By John Allsopp.
"While the assumption has been that the version of Safari in the iPhone
is very close to Safari 3 for the Mac and Windows in terms of support
for CSS, that does not seem to be the case. While Safari 3 supports
just about all of the following properties, at least in "experimental"
form with the prefix '-webkit-' added to the property name, Safari on
the iPhone (at least when it was released) has much more limited
support (see support tables). You can see for yourself by visiting this
page with an iPhone, or Safari 3. This page has tests for a small
subset of CSS3, chosen because these features are in part supported by
at least one browser. Still to come, tests for mozilla's and opera's
experimental support for features (property names with -moz- and -o-
prepended), and CSS 3 selectors..."
http://westciv.com/iphonetests/

+03: COLOR.

Effective Colour Contrast
By S.R. Emerson.
"Have you taken a serious look at the colour scheme your website uses?
Are all parts of your web page visible to everyone? Some times when we
pick a colour scheme for our website we forget that there are people
with poor vision and colour deficiencies. Even website visitors with
'normal' vision can have difficulties reading a web page that has poor
contrast between the colours used. For a person with poor eyesight or
colour blindness, certain colour combinations are hard to see. If there
isn't enough contrast between the colours used, they just meld together
for these visitors. This also happens for visitors with normal sight.
The colours you have picked may appear in enough contrast to you but
they might not be for another person..."
http://www.webpagemistakes.ca/effective-colour-contrast/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

In-House Recruitment of Users for Research
By Patrick Kennedy.
"Getting participants for website research can be difficult, but a few
simple steps can help make the process go much more smoothly. This
article outlines steps modeled on the approach taken to recruiting
users for a recent website redevelopment project for a tertiary
education institution. The research activities included interviews,
focus groups and usability testing..."
http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/cmb_recruitingusers/index.html

+05: EVENTS.

php|works 2007
September 12-14, 2007.
Atlanta Georgia, U.S.A.
http://works.phparch.com/c/p/index

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

A Video Interview with Shawn Henry, From California to Japan
By Kazuhito Kidachi.
"As part of the Mitsue-Links 'Meet the Professionals' video series,
Shawn Henry of W3C WAI talks with Kazuhito Kidachi about shared
responsibilities between web site developers, browsers, and assistive
technologies; the importance of different types of authoring tools
supporting accessibility; how WCAG 2.0 and WAI-ARIA address the more
difficult aspects of Web accessibility; WAI's outreach resources; and
what led Shawn to accessibility years ago."
http://videocast.mitsue.co.jp/english/archives/2007/000056.html

@media 2007 Podcasts and Presentation Materials
http://www.vivabit.com/atmedia2007/europe/schedule/

5 Points of Advice that You May, or May Not, Want to Hear
By Armin Vit.
"1.) Its not you, its me and its definitely not art...2.) Lose some
battles, win the war...3.) Can you hear me now?...4.) Be nice... 5.) Do
good work..."
http://www.graphicdefine.org/issue3/advice

A Low-Fi Solution to E-Mail Overload: Sentenc.es
By Mike Davidson.
"I've written about e-mail overload issues in the past, and today I'm
presenting what I believe is a simple, low-fi solution: sentenc.es..."
http://tinyurl.com/3x9se4

+07: PHP.

PHP 4 End of Life Announcement
By php.net.
"Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In
those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is
fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will
be discontinued. The PHP development team hereby announces that support
for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After
2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue
to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until
2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application
suitable to run on PHP 5. For documentation on migration for PHP 4 to
PHP 5, we would like to point you to our migration guide. There is
additional information available in the PHP 5.0 to PHP 5.1 and PHP 5.1
to PHP 5.2 migration guides as well."
http://www.php.net/index.php#2007-07-13-1

PHP 4 on Death Row
By Stephen Shankland.
"Support for PHP 4 will cease by year's end, forcing developers to move
to the less popular PHP 5."
http://tinyurl.com/2hfca2

How to (and how not to) Pass an Array from PHP to the Database
By Maggie Nelson.
"In a new post today, Maggie Nelson starts with the wrong way to do
something - passing an array from PHP to a database - and works
backward to make it all right."
http://tinyurl.com/2xx4rp

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

WHATWG HTML5 Specification Comment
By Tom Morris.
"...For something to become part of the HTML WG's recommendation it has
to be in use. This is a deeply conservative movement, and it makes it
difficult for things to change - because it'll 'break compatibility'.
Yes, the HTML WG demands that HTML 5 be backwards compatible with HTML
4. Which means if something is broken in HTML 4, it may stay broken in
HTML 5..."
http://boagworld.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2400#Item_2

Corporate Web Standards
By Scott Gledhill.
"Freelancers and hot-shot web agencies are only one side of the web
development party. Behind the scenes of every company website, you're
likely to find a frustrated in-house developer or two, wondering why
exactly they bought all those shiny books when web standards seems to
be a bad word in the weekly marketing meeting. If this sounds very much
like your daily grind, new author Scott Gledhill has some advice on how
to approach introducing standards in a corporate world."
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/corporate_web_standards/

Web Standards Do - The Way of Web Standards
By Olivier Thereaux.
"...this article is a humorous look at principles of Web quality,
viewed through the filter of the Bushido, the Samurai's code of Honor.
It is a companion to a talk given at the Days of Web Standards
Conference, in Tokyo on July 15th, 2007. The metaphor should be taken
with a smile, the principles of Web Architecture it showcases,
seriously..."
http://www.w3.org/QA/2007/07/the_way_of_web_standards.html

Why Bother?
By Sean Fraser.
"Why bother with web standards adherence when error handling makes web
development Life easy. Or, when Large Sites don't bother. I've written
two articles about it: Error Handling in Browsers make Web Standards
Difficult and this article which poses How widely tolerated is
ill-formedness in existing browsers?. Those were merely observations.
However, we have global examples..."
http://tinyurl.com/2g5ojo

+09: TYPOGRAPHY.

Helvetica and Alternatives to Helvetica
By FontShop.
"Helvetica is a classic. Helvetica is played out. Each of these
statements is true to an extent..."
http://tinyurl.com/yq9yqr

+10: USABILITY.

Never Use a Warning When you Mean Undo
By Aza Raskin.
"Are our web apps as smart as they should be? By failing to account for
habituation (the tendency, when presented with a string of repetitive
tasks, to keep clicking OK), do our designs cause people to lose their
work? Raskin's simple, foolproof rule solves the problem."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/neveruseawarning

Web Usability
By Mel Pedley.
"The dividing line between web accessibility and web usability is often
blurred and difficult to distinguish. Whilst there is no doubt that the
two topics do overlap to a significant degree, it is important to
differentiate between them. Usability is not the same thing as
accessibility. Unlike web accessibility which impacts directly upon
disabled users, web usability affects all users, and can be defined as
a measure of how easy it is for a generic site visitor to carry out a
task such as finding a given piece of information or buying a certain
product. However, there are accessibility benefits to be gained from
applying web usability principles to your designs. So let's take a few
simply usability concepts, look at why they are important and see what
effect they may have on overall accessibility..."
http://accessites.org/site/2007/07/web-usability/

Web Design is the Design of Words
By Gerry McGovern.
"...On the Web, before you can get to the product or service of the
organization, you have to use the website. What you are essentially
using is words. Words can make you wait or speed you on your journey.
Words can make you more confused or answer a
question you had. A website designer is a designer of words. Website
usability is
the principle measure of success. The Web turns design on its head.
Everything builds from the word."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2007/nt-2007-07-16-words.htm

Government Websites 'Too Complex'
By British Broadcasting Corporation.
"Many government websites are still too complicated and difficult to
use, says the National Audit Office."

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu