[webdev] Web Design Update: April 10, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Apr 10 06:19:55 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 6, Issue 42, April 10, 2008.

04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
09: TYPOGRAPHY.
10: USABILITY.
11: XML.

Refreshed Accessibility Standards and Guidelines in Telecommunications
and Electronic and Information Technology
By Advisory Committee to the Access Board.
"This report is a set of recommendations from the Advisory Committee to
the Access Board.  Any proposed revisions to the Section 508 standards
or the Section 255 accessibility guidelines will be made through the
Federal rulemaking process.  This report is not a regulation."
http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/refresh/report/

Presentation of the TEITAC report to the U.S. Access Board
By Peter Korn.
"...the Telecommunications and Electronic and Information Technology
Advisory Committee (or TEITAC for short) presented their final report
to the United States Access Board. It was the culmination of more than
18 months of very hard work by a very talented group of 41
representatives and their alternates who were representing their
respective companies, disability organizations, government agencies,
and countries."
http://blogs.sun.com/korn/entry/presentation_of_the_teitac_report

Accessible Data Visualization with Web Standards
By Wilson Miner.
"When designing interfaces for browsing data-driven sites, creating
navigation elements that are also visualization tools helps the user
make better decisions. Wilson Miner demonstrates three techniques for
incorporating data visualization into standards-based navigation
patterns."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/accessibledatavisualization

Is Your Moodle Accessible?
By John E. Brandt.
"The following information was presented at a workshop in October 2007
at the MainEducation Conference of ACTEM."
http://www.jebswebs.com/index.php/articles-and-resources

Moodle Accessibility WebAIM Thread
By Jan Heck.
"...What is the good (and not so good) word about Moodle's
accessibility?..."
http://www.webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread.php?thread=3522

Common Issues
By Alastair Campbell.
"Nomensa's director of user experience, Alastair Campbell, reviews the
past year of accessibility checks and tackles the most common issues..."
http://www.netmag.co.uk/zine/home/common-issues

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Top-Down Approach to Simplify Your CSS Code
By Antonio Lupetti.
"Today I want to return to talk about a topic very popular on my blog
about which I already dedicated two popular post (optimize your CSS
files to improve code readability and write a well structured CSS file
without becoming crazy). Now I want to try to reply to this question I
often receive from some readers of this blog: What is the correct
approach to design a CSS file?..."
http://tinyurl.com/5cysa8

Most Useful 50 CSS Tips And Tools For Webmasters
By Emma Alvarez.
"...Here you are a list of the 50 most useful tips and tools for
customizing your website easily with CSS..."
http://tinyurl.com/5dsoce

Nice Drop Caps with CSS
By Fabian van Luyn.
"There are a lot of websites using a extra <span>-tag for the drop cap.
But using the :first-letter pseudo-element, you can easily create nice
drop caps with CSS. :first-letter will - how surprising - target the
first letter of an element. This pseudo element is included in CSS 1,
so the browser support is very good. It's supported by IE5+, Let's
design some nice drop caps with CSS..."
http://www.onyx-design.net/weblog2/css/nice-drop-caps-with-css/

Tomorrow's CSS Today: 8 Techniques They Don't Want You To Know
By Tim Wright.
"Sick of hearing about great CSS features you can't use? Find yourself
playing it safe with CSS when building web sites? Wondering where went
yesterday's promise of a bright future with CSS? Future CSS support is
closer than you think! Tim shows 8 advanced CSS features you can use to
add some pizzazz to your web pages today."
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/tomorrows-css-today

Project Gmail Grimace - And Story of Neglected Developers
By Russ Weakley.
"The Email Standards Project has heard from designers all over the
world how frustrating it is that Gmail, the otherwise excellent webmail
client, does such a disappointing job rendering HTML email. I had no
idea how hard it was for developers until I saw this movie - which
moved me with its raw emotion..."
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2008/04/09/gmail-grimace/

+03: EVENTS.

Web Form Design Best Practices
June 14, 2008.
Sunnyvale, California, U.S.A.
http://involutionstudios.com/?p=113&cat=8

+04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

The Fine Art of Wireframes
By T. Scott Stromberg.
"One of the greatest advantages of sketching is that it can become a
foundational tool which can easily be used to more fully explore your
design treatments and architectural studies. The ability to hand-craft
wireframes might take some practice, but the benefits gained from their
use in client presentations can be priceless. High-fidelity,
computer-generated deliverables can be a perfectly adequate way to
present your ideas, but there is something liberating about being able
to break out a pen and paper and clearly record creative ideas without
the use of a computer. Likewise, there is also a special credibility
gained with clients when your deliverables are handcrafted and
unique-especially when they excite and empower your audience to
participate in the creative process."
http://geniantsandbox.com/2008/02/28/the-fine-art-of-wireframes

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

A Short History of the Development of JavaScript
By Brendan Eich.
"It seems (according to one guru, but coming from this source, it's a
left-handed compliment) that JavaScript is finally popular..."
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/2008/04/popularity.html

Advanced JavaScript Debugging Techniques
By Mike Wilcox.
"The purpose of this article is to provide a list of advanced debugging
techniques that are not easily found elsewhere on the web. Using Google
to search for JavaScript debugging just gives you hundreds of articles
about using alerts and how Firebug works. We all worship at the altar
of Firebug, but there are things that can go beyond a console.log().
The following is a list of methods that every developer should have in
their toolbox..."
http://tinyurl.com/35hsvb

Take Control of Your Maps
By Paul Smith.
"It is now possible to replicate Google Maps' functionality with open
source software and produce high-quality mapping applications tailored
to your design goals. Paul Smith shows how."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/takecontrolofyourmaps

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

The Principles of Project Management
By Meri Williams.
"...we'll talk about the work that comes before the project life cycle
-- finding possible projects, working out which projects are worth
pursuing, and getting to know the different groups of people who will
be involved in any project. Finally, we'll discuss the process of
actually initiating a project..."
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/principles-project-management

Interviews at the CHI 2008 Conference
"Luca Chittaro, a professor at the University of Udine, covers the CHI
2008 conference in Florence for Nova, the innovation supplement of Il
Sole 24 Ore, Italy's business newspaper. He is already at the
pre-conference workshops where he is publishing interviews faster than
we can read them..."
http://www.experientia.com/blog/interviews-at-the-chi-2008-conference/

+07: NAVIGATION.

Screen Readers and Source Ordering
By Eric Tribou.
"...Anyways, the point here is that source-ordered layouts might not be
the most accessible thing in the world..."
http://weblog.bridgew.edu/ruthsarian/archives/000497.htm

Source Order WebAIM Thread
By  Mike Bleasdale.
"am paralyzed from the neck down and use a head wand for my computer. i
am studying web devel. i had thought that main content should be place
before nav in source order. since i tab through a site, i must tab
through the webaims nav menu to reach the main content. the webaim
site, and also the wai site, have its source ordered like this, may i
ask why..."
http://www.webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread.php?thread=3523

Linked Data Principles Revisited
By Michael Hausenblas.
"The linked data principles formulated by Tim Berners-Lee read quite
straight-forward: 1. Use URIs as names for things 2. Use HTTP URIs so
that people can look up those names. 3. When someone looks up a URI,
provide useful information..."
http://tinyurl.com/3ntquh

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

HTML5: the Foreign lands (mathematics and graphics)
By Anne Van Kesteren.
The last few weeks there has substantive discussion on the HTML WG
mailing list (public-html) and the Math WG public discussion mailing
list (www-math) regarding embedding non-HTML languages in the text/html
serialization of HTML focusing mostly on MathML and SVG. (Sidenote: the
amount of e-mails totaled over the yearly average of the www-math
list.)..."
http://annevankesteren.nl/2008/04/html5-foreign

HTML5: Custom Data
By Anne Van Kesteren.
"Sometimes HTML is not enough and you need a mechanism to include some
custom data into the document...."
http://annevankesteren.nl/2008/04/custom-data

Why Use Semantic HTML? - part 2
By Joe Dolson.
"This guide only deals with elements which have a specific,
human-readable meaning. The semantics of elements such as link, which
are not seen in normal browsing, have been left out, as have
replacement elements like img or object. In some cases, I've also
addressed specific attributes which are critical to providing semantic
value to an element. This is not a guide which demonstrates the opinion
of the W3C as represented in the HTML, XHTML, or HTML 5 specifications.
This is a practical-use guide which indicates my reasoned opinion
concerning the best use of each element..."
http://www.joedolson.com/articles/2008/04/why-use-semantic-html/

Design Coding
"The Poetic Prophet (AKA The SEO Rapper) is back with another marketing
rap. This time he describes how web standards and proper design can
affect the ranking and conversion of pages on your site."
http://tinyurl.com/3o6qzj

+09: TYPOGRAPHY.

Smoothing Out the Creases in Web Fonts
By Jon Tan.
"Designers often choose one of the core Web fonts for body text because
they are widely available, but like all typefaces, they render
differently on different operating systems..."
http://tinyurl.com/3oubxs

On Choosing Type
By John Boardley.
"Typography is not a science. Typography is an art..."
http://ilovetypography.com/2008/04/04/on-choosing-type/

+10: USABILITY.

Usability or User Experience? What's the Difference?
By Tom Stewart.
"The term 'user experience' is now widely used, with its exponents
claiming that it goes beyond mere usability by including such
attributes as usefulness, desirability, credibility and accessibility.
By contrast, 'usability' is often depicted as a narrower concept
focusing on systems being easy to use..."
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article4636.asp

+11: XML.

XML and Government Schizophrenia
By Michael C. Daconta.
"The U.S. Government has a love/hate relationship with XML..."
http://tinyurl.com/3jugvt

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu