[webdev] Web Design Update: April 25, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Apr 25 06:15:24 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 6, Issue 44, April 25, 2008.

08: TOOLS.
09: TYPOGRAPHY.
10: USABILITY.
11: XML.

"Off left" Banned by Google?
By Bob Easton.
"Hidden text can be a spammer's haven...Yes, Google was right. Spam was
stuffed into hidden text on my site. They were not complaining about my
accessibility technique."
http://www.access-matters.com/2008/04/19/off-left-banned-by-google/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Crafting Ourselves
By Eric A. Meyer.
"My referrers lit up recently due to Jonathan Snook's article about CSS
resets and how he doesn't use them. To Jonathan and all the doubters
and nay-sayers out there, I have only one thing to say: Good for you..."
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2008/04/17/crafting-ourselves/

Why Reset Style Sheets Are Bad
By Jens Meiert.
"Okay, Jonathan set the pace, Eric countered, a few people carried on,
and me, officially having announced comprehensive reset and undo style
sheet criticism in January, feels finally obliged to politely point out
that reset style sheets are bad: A novice should not use them, an
expert would not use them..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20080419/reset-style-sheets-are-bad/

+03: EVENTS.

Universal Design Workshop
May 21-22, 2008.
Urbana/Champaign, Illinois, U.S.A.
http://courses.cita.uiuc.edu/2day/

+04: JAVASCRIPT.

Where to Include JavaScript Files in a Document
By Robert Nyman.
"Today I thought we'd talk about how, or rather were in the document,
to include JavaScript files..."
http://tinyurl.com/6gztnk

+05: MISCELLANEOUS.

All Web Directions North Slides and Podcasts Now Online
By Maxine Sherrin.
"There was a whole host of genuinely excellent presentations at Web
Directions North back in January. The good news for people who weren't
there is that so many of the presenters were incredibly generous with
their knowledge and expertise and have allowed us to publish their
slides and podcasts..."
http://tinyurl.com/4yce3u

+06: NAVIGATION.

Extend the Searchbar with OpenSearch
By Martin Kliehm.
"OpenSearch is known as an open source format to syndicate and
aggregate search results. It was developed by Amazon / A9 and quickly
gained support from the big search engines. Their involvement is
somewhat intimidating - your site's not Google, so who wants to
syndicate your search results anyway?..."
http://learningtheworld.eu/2008/opensearch/

Managing Taxonomies
By James Kelway.
"Taxonomy creep inevitably occurs to all sites and there is a need to
be able to monitor and adjust the taxonomies without impacting on the
user experience or the workflow of the content producers. Here I
propose to set out a process that businesses can employ that will
ensure their taxonomies are accurate. That they reflect the industry,
user groups and business objectives of the site and will utilize their
web technologies and people available."
http://userpathways.com/2008/04/03/managing-taxonomies/

Benefits of Plain English URLs
By Gadgetopia.
"The plain-english URLs are more memorable to the customer, and they
impart some meaning. When picking URLs, we envision someone at the
client's firm reading the URL to someone over the phone. How easy is it
going to be?..."
http://gadgetopia.com/post/6346

+07: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Will The Road to HTML 5 Be Rough?
By Mike Cherim.
"...I'm not sweating this transition, I have confidence it'll work
itself in time. It's just the period in between that I question. I
suspect conditionally-served style sheets and hacks for IE will
probably be with us for a while - as long as old models exist. One
concern I do have, if I can properly read the writing on the wall: Will
people be saying how antiquated HTML 5 is once it's fully adopted by
all sites and all user agents, and mostly being properly implemented,
at around the time some of the web movers and shakers are working
diligently on HTML 6?"
http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=264

Reverse Ordered Lists
By Lachlan Hunt
"One of the newly introduced features in HTML 5 is the ability to mark
up reverse ordered lists. These are the same as ordered lists, but
instead of counting up from 1, they instead count down towards 1. This
can be used, for example, to count down the top 10 movies, music, or
LOLCats, or anything else you want to present as a countdown list..."
http://blog.whatwg.org/reverse-ordered-lists

New Image Report Feature in Validator.nu
By Henri Sivonen.
"There have been lots and lots of e-mail on the public-html mailing
list about making the alt attribute syntactically required in HTML5..."
http://blog.whatwg.org/image-report

+08: TOOLS.

WebAnywhere
By WebInSight.
"A web-based screen reader to provide blind web users equal access to
the web from any computer without requiring the installation of
special, expensive software."
http://webinsight.cs.washington.edu/projects/webanywhere/

+09: TYPOGRAPHY.

Simple CSS: Creating More Readable Text
By David Rodriguez.
"Typography is an important part of Web design. Just like in the print
world, your content needs to be readable to your viewers for it to be
of any use. As a general rule, you want to make sure your Web site
provides as little resistance as possible to the user, and the easier
your site is to read, the better. CSS provides three very useful
properties to enhance the readability of your site: font, line-height,
and letter-spacing."
http://www.wpdfd.com/issues/86/simple_css_creating_more_readable_text/

+10: USABILITY.

Expectations and Usability: Habits
By Peter J. Meyers.
This is part two of my series on expectations and usability. I have to
apologize for originally saying this entry would be about standards. By
"standards", I meant standard practices, not web standards (W3C, etc.),
so, to avoid confusion, I've decided to use a broader word: habits.
When we browse the web, many habits come into play, and just about all
of them influence our expectations.
http://www.usereffect.com/topic/expectations-and-usability-habits

Press Releases: Spin and Propaganda
By  Gerry McGovern.
"Press releases are a form of propaganda. Publishing them on your
website shows your customers how you are attempting to spin the
media..."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2008/nt-2008-04-21-press-releases.htm

+11: XML.

Do You Know XML?
By Ric Johnson.
"Test you knowledge of XML..."
http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2008/04/do_you_know_xml_1.html

XML Design: Data or Documents?
By Michael C. Daconta.
"The iTunes XML format is an example of dumping a data structure to
XML. In this post, I examine two examples of this and discuss its
ramifications to XML design."
http://tinyurl.com/45fcln

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu