[webdev] Web Design Update: September 12, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 12 15:47:45 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 11, September 12, 2008.

05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS
09: TOOLS.
10: USABILITY.
11: XML.

Accessible Forms Using WCAG 2.0
By Roger Hudson.
"This document aims to provide web developers and others with practical
advice about the preparation of accessible HTML forms. It compares the
WCAG 1.0 accessibility requirements relating to forms with those
contained in WCAG 2.0..."
http://www.usability.com.au/resources/wcag2/

Auditory Captchas Web Survey
By University of Washington.
"We are conducting this study to determine the usability and
accessibility of a new interface to audio captchas. A captcha is a
computer-generated challenge-response test that is intended to be
easily solved by a human, but difficult for a computer to solve.
Captchas are often used to prevent automated software from performing
unauthorized actions, like creating user accounts or downloading
software."
http://webinsight.cs.washington.edu/webeval/captchas2/.

Analysis - Target Web Lawsuit: The Six Million Dollar Question
By Majeed Saleh and Dan Jellinek.
"For years the web accessibility community has been waiting for clear
legal precedent to be set enforcing the accessibility of websites for
people with disabilities, but to date the wait has gone largely
unrewarded..."
http://www.headstar.com/eablive/?p=204

Accessibility In Suit And Tie
By Vitamin.
"...this article is for the suits who care: if you can't use
cutting-edge tools, technologies or techniques, what can you do to
ensure that you're doing all you can for all of your users? My
tried-and-tested method is..."
http://tinyurl.com/6oxyke

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Core CSS: Part I
By Molly E. Holzschlag.
"...The first of my three part Core CSS reference is available for free
download to registered members (registration is free too, of course)
and there are very stylin' print versions of the cards available as
well..."
http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/corecss-part1

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

When Role Playing Doesn't Work: Seven Guidelines for Grounding
Usability Testing in Participants' Real Lives
By Isabelle Peyrichoux.
"When participants are better able to relate to a task, content, or
data you are showing them, you'll get richer and more reliable insights
that will help you to better evaluate and improve your product."
http://www.uxmatters.com/MT/archives/000317.php

+04: EVENTS.

International PHP Conference 2008
October 27-31.
Mainz, Germany
http://it-republik.de/php/phpconference/

+05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Information Architecture for Audio: Doing It Right
By Jens Jacobsen.
"Content today is increasingly delivered by audio both online and in
the real world..."
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/information150

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Validating ARIA Markup
By Gez Lemon.
"The HTML5 Validator  can be used to validate WAI-ARIA markup."
http://juicystudio.com/article/validating-aria-markup.php

A Few Live Region Examples
By Peter Thiessen.
"I recently posted a few Live Region examples on Code Talks. My end
goal is to create a list of simple and easy to follow examples for Web
developers to quickly learn how to apply Live Regions to their apps.
The examples (with more to come in the near future) include..."
http://blog.overscore.com/?p=12

JavaScript Benchmark Quality
By John Resig.
"JavaScript Benchmarks aren't adapting well to the rapid increase in
JavaScript engine performance. I provide some simple tests for
verifying this and propose a modified setup which could be used by all
JavaScript Benchmarks to achieve high-quality results."
http://ejohn.org/blog/javascript-benchmark-quality/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Christian Heilmann Interview
By Christian Heilmann.
"At dconstruct in Brighton this year the BBC backstage people
interviewed me about My job and also about Scripting Enabled. Here are
the videos"
http://scriptingenabled.org/2008/09/bbc-interview/

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS

Two Thousand Twenty Two
By Jeff Croft.
"Hixie suggests HTML 5 will reach the 'Proposed Recommendation' stage
sometime in 2022. Go ahead, read it again. It's not a typo. Two
thousand twenty two. I immediately stopped reading. Didn't even bother
with the rest of the interview. Why? Because it just doesn't
matter...while you count the days until HTML 5 is available to you,
I'll be doing real work, on real websites, which have real users, for
real clients."
http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2008/sep/11/two-thousand-twenty-two/

The Holy Wars of the Humble alt
By Hallvord R. M. Steen.
"Should the HTML5 specification require ALT attributes for all IMG
tags? The raging debates on the public-html list seem endless. But
let's see if we can get an overview..."
http://tinyurl.com/6la3vq

+09: TOOLS.

Color Contrast Comparison
By Joe Dolson.
"This test allows you to compare two colors and test them using the
color contrast algorithms specified for the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG) versions 1 and 2."
http://www.joedolson.com/color-contrast-compare.php

Color Contrast Test
By Joe Dolson.
http://www.joedolson.com/color-contrast-tester.php

+10: USABILITY.

Zebra Striping: More Data for the Case
By Jessica Enders.
"As designers or marketers, we share a desire that our tables and forms
be easy to scan, read, and use. Does the widely practiced shading of
alternate rows help, hurt, or have no effect? A previous study proving
inconclusive, designer and researcher Jessica Enders has tackled the
conundrum again, coming up with statistically relevant data and a set
of recommendations."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/zebrastripingmoredataforthecase

Look at it Another Way
By Indi Young.
"Before you can solve a user's problems, you must see them as that user
sees them. Once you understand what drives people's behavior, not only
do new ideas flow freely, but the ideas that flow are appropriate and
useful. Indi Young tells how to get out of your own way and hear what
your users are telling you."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/lookatitanotherway

Marking Required vs. Optional Form Fields
By Erin Walsh.
"In a comparative test, Erin Walsh learned that spelling out that a
form field is optional works significant better than indicating it with
some visual means."
http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=32161

Usability Tip: Use Verbs as Labels on Buttons
By Dmitry Fadeyev.
"We're all familiar with the 'OK' and "Cancel' buttons you get on
dialog boxes. Simple labels that ask us whether we agree or disagree to
the next action the application wants to take. The interesting thing is
that using exclamations like 'OK" and 'No' isn't all that usable.
Instead, you should use verbs. Let me illustrate this with an
example..."
http://tinyurl.com/55b6le

+11: XML.

Learn about SMIL 3.0 and Test It!
By Karl Dubost.
"SMIL stands for Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language. It is an
XML language which has been designed for creating interactive
multimedia presentations, including timing and synchronization. For
example, a fade effect from black to a photograph, or starting an
animation at the same time than an audio file..."
http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/09/learn-test-smil30.html

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu