[webdev] Web Design Update: September 18, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Sep 18 06:37:35 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 12, September 18, 2008.

02: ASSOCIATIONS.
08: TOOLS.

Keyboard Support: Mysteries Unveiled
By Mike Cherim, edited by Tommy Olsson.
"...There are many aspects of providing for the disabled that can be
pretty tricky to get right, but link focus is very easy. If it's
omitted there's really no excuse. None at all. But I'm not writing this
to shame those who are forgetting. Rather, this is a reminder. I'll
even provide a quick overview. I don't want to upset anyone, I want to
fix this blatant oversight. I want developers to remember. I can't get
them to care, and I don't care if they do, but I do want them to be
accommodating all the same. I'm not the only one pushing for this.
There are other developers who are passionate about accessibility, then
there are those who actually need it. These groups are also ready for
web-wide adoption..."
http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=312

New Issue: Understanding Disabilities When Designing a Website
By Leona Tomlinson.
"Digging into accessibility guidelines and standards can be as
difficult and confusing as any language specifications, but Leona
assures us that a few minor changes and a clear mind set can make a
huge difference to users with disabilities."
http://tinyurl.com/5swxuz

Digital Discrimination
By Jim Blansett.
"Ten years after Section 508, libraries still fall short of addressing
disabilities online..."
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6585927.html

Time to Name and Shame Websites
By Graham Downie.
"Government publishers who did not provide material in accessible
formats on websites would be named and shamed, Discrimination
Commissioner Graeme Innes said yesterday..."
http://tinyurl.com/4pfcbe

+02: ASSOCIATIONS.

World Wide Web Foundation (W3F)
"Tim Berners-Lee Announces World Wide Web Foundation...The World Wide
Web Foundation seeks to advance One Web that is free and open, to
expand the Web's capability and robustness, and to extend the Web's
benefits to all people on the planet. The Web Foundation brings
together business leaders, technology innovators, academia, government,
NGOs, and experts in many fields to tackle challenges that, like the
Web, are global in scale."
http://www.webfoundation.org/

+03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Valid Replacement for <ol type="a">
By Russ Weakley.
Valid replacement for
"I was recently sent this question: 'I have used <ol type="a"> in my
markup. The W3C validator tells me that this is invalid. How can I
change the "type" of an ordered list's the list without using this
attribute?".
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2008/09/16/valid-replacement-for-ol-type/

Anchor Buttons
By Dave Shea.
"I can't be the only one bored to tears of simple border and background
colour styling for button formatting..."
http://mezzoblue.com/archives/2008/09/17/anchor_butto/

Context Highlighting Using CSS Only
http://users.skumleren.net/cers/examples/formhighlight.html

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Formative Evaluation: A Practical Guide
By Lisa Neal.
"The purpose of formative evaluation is to obtain user feedback during
the design and development stages of a project, such as an online
course or a Web site..."
http://elearnmag.org/subpage.cfm?section=tutorials&article=25-1

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

Secrets of JavaScript Closures
By Stuart Langridge.
"Just come off stage after doing my presentation at Fronteers 2008 on
the secrets of JavaScript closures. Go download it if you like that
sort of thing."
http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/secrets-of-javascript-closures/

10 Smart Javascript Techniques to Improve Your UI
By Glen Stansberry.
"Javascript can add a lot of special effects that can really improve
the user's experience. Here are 10 simple and clever Javascript
techniques that add an extra dose of usability to any web page..."
http://tinyurl.com/6la4eq

Built-in Accessibility in GWT 1.5 Applications
By Alex Rudnick.
"As websites and applications become more interactive, users relying on
assistive technology can find navigation difficult. Dynamic web
applications are often written in ways that screen readers -- which
interpret visual interfaces by speaking out loud or producing braille
-- have difficulty interpreting..."
http://tinyurl.com/6nddl5

Set of ARIA Test Cases
http://wiki.codetalks.org/wiki/index.php/Set_of_ARIA_Test_Cases

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Podcasts and Transcripts from Accessibility 2.0
Includes Keynote: Jeremy Keith - Open Data, Making Twitter Tweet -
Steve Faulkner, Fencing in the Habitat - Christian Heilmann, Rich media
for people with learning disabilities - Antonia Hyde, User Generated
Content - Jonathan Hassell, A social network for disabled people -
Stephen Elsden, Tools to watch out for and avoid - Ian Forrester, and
the Panel Discussion.
http://www.abilitynet.org.uk/accessibility2/podcasts.html

+07: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

When Guidelines Should Be Descriptive or Prescriptive
By Jens Meiert.
"Every time I'm setting up guidelines and standards, mostly within
companies, one of the questions I need to ask and answer myself is
whether or not they, or which parts of them, should be descriptive or
prescriptive..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20080913/descriptive-or-prescriptive/

How HTML 5 Is Already Changing the Web
By Scott Loganbill.
"HTML 5 represents the biggest leap forward in web standards in almost
a decade. Unlike the specifications that came before it, HTML 5 is not
merely intended to present content to a web browser. Its goal is to
bring the web into maturity as a full-fledged application platform ? a
level playing field where video, sound, images, animations, and full
interactivity with your computer are all standardized. And it may be a
long way off still, but elements of HTML 5 are already reshaping the
way we use the web..."
http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/How_HTML_5_Is_Already_Changing_the_Web

Any-Element Linking in HTML 5 (sort of)
By Bruce Lawson.
"A while ago, Eric Meyer suggested that HTML 5 should allow any element
should be able to turn into a link by taking an href attribute - see
his Any-Element Linking Demo. I suggested that, as a stop gap, HTML 5
should legalize the fact that all the big five browsers allow the a
element to surround multiple elements and block level elements...."
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2008/any-element-linking-in-html-5/

This Week in HTML 5 - Episode 5
By Mark Pilgrim.
"The big news this week is the merging of the Web Forms 2 specification
into the HTML 5 specification, and updating it with the collected
feedback of the last two years...."
http://blog.whatwg.org/this-week-in-html-5-episode-5

+08: TOOLS.

Test Your Color IQ
Drag and drop the colors in each row to arrange them by hue order.
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

+09: USABILITY.

The Complexity Tax
By Gerry McGovern.
"The complexity tax is demanded by those who want to create
dependency..."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2008/nt-2008-09-15-complexity.htm

United States Embassy Web Site: Thumbs Down
By Rachel McAlpine.
"The Plain English Awards ceremony 2008 last Thursday celebrated heroes
of plain English in New Zealand. Four categories are for web sites, and
web content is a big factor in other categories too..."
http://www.contented.com/contented/?p=467

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu