[webdev] Web Design Update: October 17, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Oct 17 06:17:53 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 16, October 17, 2008.

06: TYPOGRAPHY.

Making Video Accessible
By Jeroen Wijering.
"With the increasing popularity of online video comes the increasing
need to maximize the accessibility of its content. If your video
contains relevant information, deaf or blind people should be able to
get to it. And people who use exotic browsers or platforms should too.
This doesn't mean you have to offer 20 different versions of your
piece. A clever combination of the right formats, the SWFObject
javascript and the Flash-based FLV Media Player 3 can do the job as
well. (currently the 4.0 player has no audio description. The 4.1
will!)..."
http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Making_Video_Accessible

Mozilla Launches Video Accessibility Drive
By Nathan Willis.
"Video and audio support will soon be built directly into Firefox, by
way of the free Vorbis and Theora codecs, and Mozilla is using the
opportunity to advance multimedia accessibility for hearing-impaired
and seeing-impaired users. Although HTML 5 does not officially include
Ogg Vorbis and Theora as baseline codecs for the new VIDEO and AUDIO
tags, Mozilla has adopted them for its own implementation. Researcher
Silvia Pfeiffer is leading a Mozilla Foundation-funded effort to
integrate support for closed captioning and other multimedia
accessibility features into the Ogg formats and their implementation in
Firefox..."
http://www.linux.com/feature/149988

Accessibility/Video Accessibility
By Mozilla.
"...Video on the Web is a complex topic, not only from a technical, but
also from a political and patent viewpoint. Even HTML5 and the WHATWG
haven't figured out what baseline codec to recommend yet..."
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/Video_Accessibility

Accessibility/Caption Formats
By Mozilla.
"This is a list of existing caption formats..."
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/Caption_Formats

Accessible Implementation of Video and Audio on Websites
By Eric Velleman.
http://www.accessibility.nl/internet/artikelen/audiovideo?languageId=2

Video Accessibility, Closed Captions, and Video SEO
By Mark Robertson.
"Many videos on the net simply aren't seen because they cant get
discovered..."
http://www.reelseo.com/video-accessibility-closed-captions-video-seo/

New Captions Feature For Videos
By YouTube.
"You can add captions to one of your videos by uploading a closed
caption file using the "Captions and Subtitles" menu on the editing
page..."
http://www.youtube.com/blog?entry=mi8D3ntPgFQ

YouTube Offers Captioning for Increased Accessibility and Indexing
By Mark Robertson.
"YouTube has been working hard to expand the offerings at the site and
make the videos more accessible to everyone. One of the features they
just recently rolled out was the ability to include captions in
videos...Not only will this allow for greater accessibility, but it
will give YouTube excellent data for searching videos and targeting
advertising to them. If you think about it, a complete set of subtitles
for captions is basically the same as a transcript of the video itself,
and we know how transcripts can help with video indexing."
http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-captioning-accessibility/

+02: EVENTS.

Scripting Enabled Seattle
November 1-2, 2008.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
http://ses.eventwax.com/scripting-enabled-seattle

World Usability Day
November 13, 2008.
Everywhere
http://www.worldusabilityday.org/

PHPNW08 Conference
November 22, 2008.
Manchester, United Kingdom.
http://conference.phpnw.org.uk/phpnw08/

Web Directions North
February 2-8, 2009.
Denver Colorado, U.S.A.
http://north.webdirections.org/

WebAIM Accessibility Training
February 18-19, 2009.
Logan, Utah, U.S.A.
http://www.webaim.org/training/

CHI (Computer-Human Interaction) 2009
April 4-9, 2009.
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
http://www.chi2009.org/

+03: JAVASCRIPT.

ARIA Momentum and Internet Explorer
By Jared Smith.
"...Perhaps the biggest barrier to ARIA implementation is that it is
not yet supported in Internet Explorer. It's difficult to truly
recommend a technology that does nothing in the most popular web
browser. The standards and accessibility community was thrilled to hear
that Internet Explorer 8 will support ARIA. However, this excitement is
being tempered by the fact that Microsoft is currently implementing
ARIA in a non-standard way..."
http://webaim.org/blog/aria-momentum-and-ie/

Explaining JavaScript Scope and Closures
By Robert Nyman.
"I thought I'd try to explain something which many people struggle
with: JavaScript scope and closures..."
http://tinyurl.com/4fjlwa

How to Get Private, Privileged, Public and Static Members (Properties
and Methods)
By Robert Nyman.
After reading JavaScript inheritance - how and why and Explaining
JavaScript scope and closures, I thought we'd combine the knowledge
gained to talk about private, privileged, public and static members
(properties and methods) for objects in JavaScript..."
http://tinyurl.com/453k5x

Beware of JavaScript Semicolon Insertion
By Robert Nyman.
"One of most tricky behaviors by JavaScript interpreters is semicolon
insertion..."
http://tinyurl.com/4aajoz

+04: NAVIGATION.

Choosing the Right Classification Words
By Gerry McGovern.
"Climate change or global warming? Pandemic flu or bird flu? Learning
or training? Should we choose the 'correct' words or the words people
actually use?"
http://tinyurl.com/3oyw9x

+05: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

W3C Standardization Process: Breaking Through the FUD (Fear,
Uncertainty, Doubt)
By Lachlan Hunt.
"While at Web Directions South, Lachlan caught up with Mike(tm) Smith,
co-chair of the W3C's HTML Working Group, to talk about the process of
standardization at the W3C. Mike(tm) Smith, who is also a W3C team
contact, describes what is standardization and how it relates to HTML5.
Mike brings some reality to how standardization of HTML5 is happening
from someone who is actually there on the ground helping it all
happen..."
http://standardssuck.org/w3c-standardization-process

Structure Your Webpages with HTML 5
By Peter Davison.
"... The life of Hypertext on the web has gone through several stages
to try and provide proper webpage semantic (meaningful) structure.
Tim Berners-Lee created the initial development of HyperText Markup
Language (HTML) and then the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
updated it to HTML 2 and then the language continued from HTML 3.2 by
the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) (directed by Tim Berners-Lee).
Beginning the path to Web Standards, the W3C HTML 4 and 4.01
specifications provided a strict edition and two other editions
(transitional and frameset) for backwards compatibility of the
depreciated code. But all three added internationalization and
accessibility..."
http://www.legendscrolls.co.uk/webstandards/html5

HTML5 DOCTYPE
By John Resig.
"Remember the whole crazy Internet Explorer 8 meta http-equiv hub-bub,
yesterday? There was one post in all of that mess that was really,
really, important. To sum it up: Internet Explorer 8 will support
DOCTYPE switching for new DOCTYPEs (like HTML5)..."
http://ejohn.org/blog/html5-doctype/

This Week in HTML 5 - Episode 9
By Mark Pilgrim.
"...Shelley Powers pointed out that I haven't mentioned the issue of
distributed extensibility yet..."
http://blog.whatwg.org/this-week-in-html-5-episode-9

+06: TYPOGRAPHY.

Zoom
By Dave Shea.
"Somehow over the last year or two we've landed in a situation where
most browsers now default to full page zoom instead of traditional
text-resizing..."
http://mezzoblue.com/archives/2008/10/07/zoom/

+07: USABILITY.

The Most Annoying Yet Almost Most Important Task in Professional
Website Management
By Jens Meiert.
"...is link checking. There are tools out there, en masse, however, it
is just annoying to run after so-called professionals who neither know
about simplest online rules nor how to set up redirects (but dare to
waste other people's time)..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20081016/the-most-annoying-task/

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu