[webdev] Web Design Update: January 30, 2009

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Jan 30 06:21:32 CST 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 31, January 30, 2009.

04: FLASH.
05: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
06: TOOLS.
07: USABILITY.
08: XML.

The Stanford Captioning Project
By John Foliot and Sean Keegan.
"Having identified the three biggest obstacles in creating captioned
media on campus, a pilot project has been proposed that seeks to remedy
or lessen the impact of these impediments..."
http://captioning.stanford.edu/service.php

Why Captioning?
By John Foliot and Sean Keegan.
"While captioning audio/video presentations is a lifeline for the deaf
and hard-of-hearing community, captioning can also be used to improve
your media product and enhance its accessibility to a much larger
community..."
http://captioning.stanford.edu/

WCAG 2.0 Checklist
By Jared Smith.
"The following is NOT WCAG 2.0. It is, however, a simple checklist that
presents the principles and techniques of WCAG 2.0 in a more
user-friendly, understandable format. The language has been significantly
changed and simplified from the official WCAG 2.0 specification to make
it more easily tested and verified for web pages. While this checklist
may be very handy in pursuing accessibility and WCAG conformance, please
reference WCAG 2.0 documentation to verify actual conformance."
http://webaim.org/standards/wcag/checklist

Requiring the alt Attribute in HTML5
By Gez Lemon.
"I'm putting together a list of pros and cons about making the alt
attribute required in HTML 5. The following is a list of reasons for and
against making the alt attribute required. What is your opinion?..."
http://juicystudio.com/article/requiring-alt-attribute-html5.php

Testing Times: Recession Busting Accessibility Tips
By Henny Swan.
"...If you get it right at the start of a redesign or new build by
including user feedback, especially feedback from users with
disabilities, you're more likely to have a slicker, faster and more
effective website than if you don't user test. And we all know what that
means: better ROI, easier maintenance and a substantially bigger user
base - all the things the money men like to hear about..."
http://my.opera.com/ODIN/blog/testing-times

Captcha Cracking in JavaScript with Canvas and Neural Nets
By Ajaxian.
"Everybody's favourite glass shield to protect web apps are CAPTCHAS.
These are the distorted characters displayed on a page that a user has to
enter before gaining access or sending off a form. They annoy normal
users, are largely inaccessible to blind users or dyslexic people and are
not that safe as we think they are. PWNtcha continually reports
successful cracks of various captchas on the web using OCR algos and
backend systems. What is pretty amazing though is that now you can even
crack the images using JavaScript and Canvas..."
http://tinyurl.com/d3y6s5

Bringing More Readers In
By Desiree Sturdevant.
"...With respect to social medias and my experiences so far, some are
more accessible than others, but there are still barriers..."
http://universallydesigned.net/uncategorized/bringing-more-readers-in

Headings, Heading Hierarchy, and Document Outlines
By Roger Johansson.
"Recently my coworkers and I have been discussing HTML headings and
heading hierarchy. This may not sound like something you need to spend a
lot of time discussing, but there are some situations when it seems very
difficult to find a solution without compromises..."
http://tinyurl.com/bexb5f

Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) Directory
By Even Grounds.
"The following directory contains a list of companies which provide a
Voluntary Product Accessibility Template of their products..."
http://www.evengrounds.com/resources/vpat-directory

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Using HTTP Headers to Serve Styles
By Eric A. Meyer.
"How many times have you played out the following scenario?..."
http://tinyurl.com/cke9gh

z-index: Sandwich Filler
By Karl Dawson.
"Working with z-index can be a little counter-intuitive at times..."
http://tinyurl.com/d5ferq

+03: EVENTS.

The Exciting Future of CSS and XHTML with Eric Meyer
March 9, 2009.
London, United Kingdom.
http://carsonworkshops.com/2009/ericmeyer/

E-Access '09
April 23 2009.
London, United Kingdom.
http://www.headstar-events.com/eaccess09/

@media
June 25-26, 2009.
London, United Kingdom
http://www.vivabit.com/atmedia2009/

eduWeb Conference
July 20-22, 2009.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
http://www.eduwebconference.com/

OSCON 2009
July 20-24, 2009.
San Jose, California, U.S.A.
http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009

AHEAD
July 20-25, 2009.
Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A.
http://www.ahead.org/conferences/2009

HighEdWeb 2009
October 4-7, 2009.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
http://www.highedweb.org/

Writing for the Web 1
April 8, 2009 in Washington D.C., U.S.A.
May 20, 2009 in London United Kingdom.
June 25, 2009 in San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
July 30, 2009 in Sydney Australia.
http://www.nngroup.com/events/tutorials/writing_for_web.html

Writing for the Web 2
April 9, 2009 in Washington D.C., U.S.A.
May 21, 2009 in London United Kingdom.
June 26, 2009 in San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
July 31, 2009 in Sydney Australia.
http://www.nngroup.com/events/tutorials/content_2.html

+04: FLASH.

HTML 5 Flash Embedding and Other Validation Errors
By Bruce Lawson.
"When I completed the first round of my HTML 5 redesign, some validation
errors remained..."
http://tinyurl.com/btegrn

+05: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Validator Donation Program: The First Numbers Are In!
By Olivier Thereaux.
"...With the donation program entering its 7th week, and more big things
to come, it felt like a good time to start analyzing some of the data and
sharing them with you..."
http://tinyurl.com/d6nxc2

Microformats, Accessibility, HTML 5 (again)
By Bruce Lawson.
"Microformats are a good idea, but some have accessibility problems
because they expose machine data to humans by misusing the abbr element.
These problems led to the BBC removing those microformats from their
sites..."
http://tinyurl.com/clbszu

12 Standard Screen Patterns
Luke Wroblewski.
"As part of the release of their upcoming book, Designing Web Interfaces:
Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions, Bill Scott and Theresa
Neil have published a full set of principles and patterns for rich
interaction design. The first set consists of 12 Standard Screen Patterns
and 100 examples of them in action. Get your hands on this great resource
at the book's site."
http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?762

Pattern Languages for Interaction Design
By Will Evans.
"An Interview with Erin Malone, Christian Crumlish, and Lucas
Pettinati..."
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/pattern-languages

+06: TOOLS.

Normalisation tool
By  Richard Ishida.
"This tool allows you to normalize short pieces of text to Unicode forms
NFC or NFD..."
http://rishida.net/tools/normalizer/

+07: USABILITY.

Occam's Razor in Web Design, Simplicity Wins
By Ross Johnson
"...All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...'
http://tinyurl.com/ado9pj

User Experience Deliverables
By Peter Morville.
"...I'm rethinking my role, redefining my deliverables, and embracing new
forms of interdisciplinary collaboration..."
http://semanticstudios.com/publications/semantics/000228.php

What the Web is Really Good For
By Gerry McGovern,
"The Web helps us make better decisions based on us doing often  very
detailed research. But certain decisions don't require any  research at
all."
http://tinyurl.com/bh6a93

President Obama: Vision for Usability?
By Frank Spillers.
"...What should Obama do to ensure that the people getting the technology
can use it?..."
http://tinyurl.com/cafxt2

+08: XML.

RDFa vs. RDF/XML
By ESW Wiki.
"This is a note comparing RDFa and RDF/XML in terms of features, usage,
etc..."
http://esw.w3.org/topic/RDFa_vs_RDFXML

XHTML Users: Grow Up!
Interview with Tommy Olsson.
"The ongoing work with HTML5 seems to ignore semantics to a large degree.
Yes, it proposes to add a handful of semantic element types, but it also
adds purely presentational stuff that - in my opinion - doesn't belong in
a markup language. Even worse is that it redefines long-established
semantics of existing element types. For instance, the P element type no
longer denotes a paragraph; it becomes a generic block-level container -
nothing more than a synonym for DIV. The contempt for accessibility is
even more worrying. The drafts propose to eliminate several important
attributes (or at least make them non-required). The reason appears to be
a lack of support in contemporary assistive technology..."
http://www.webscienceman.com/2009/01/24/html-xhtml-html5-future-html/

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to
subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know if
there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu