[webdev] Web Design Update: May 29, 2009

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri May 29 06:24:41 CDT 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 7, Issue 48, May 29, 2009.

03: FLASH.
04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
08: TYPOGRAPHY.

Accessibility and Hierarchies of Impairment
By Sarah Lewthwaite.
"...Much accessibility research focuses strongly on achieving
accessibility for people with mobility, sensory and some text
impairments - this is clearly important work, however, it does not
represent the totality of necessary accessible practice..."
http://tinyurl.com/qlfel3

Accessibility of MakingHomeAffordable.gov
By Jim Thatcher.
"MakingHomeAffordable.gov is a fairly simple site. It should be easy to
use for people with disabilities, to access information and interact
with the site. The suggestions provided here will make that happen.
Without following these suggestions, people with disabilities will have
serious difficulty interacting with the site. The following are the
areas that need attention..."
http://jimthatcher.com/making.htm

Accessibility of Data.Gov
By Jim Thatcher.
"This is the fourth in a series of reports on the accessibility of
Obama Administration web sites. I believe that, during the campaign,
when then candidate Obama said he wanted a campaign accessible to all,
he meant it. Had he known how difficult it was for some people with
disabilities to access his campaign web site, he would have insisted it
be fixed. Now I think the same for the new administration web sites.
They must be, in my opinion, models of accessibility..."
http://jimthatcher.com/data.htm

Web Accessibility - The Next Generation
By Mark Greenfield.
"...The goals for this project are to teach the students about people
with disabilities and how they use computers, teach the basics on how
to create a web site with an emphasis on accessibility, and have the
students help me create a new site for Rachael that will be fully
accessible..."
http://www.markgr.com/web-accessibility-the-next-generation/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Styling Elements of Nested HTML Lists
By: Alejandro Gervasio.
"Welcome to the second part of a three-part series on designing with
nested HTML lists. This series shows you how to nest HTML lists by
using a hands-on approach, and demonstrates how to use them for
building standards-compliant drop-down menus..."
http://tinyurl.com/qjp32d

Floats, Clears, and Color Flashes
By Jeffery Zeldman.
"I'd read about using ':after' clearing but hadn't implemented it and
thought I could solve the problem an easier way. This afternoon, with
about five minutes' work, I did so."
http://www.zeldman.com/2009/05/22/floats-clears-and-color-flashes/

CSS Quick-Question Edition
By Chris Coyier.
"This is our sixth installment of Ask SM, featuring reader questions
about Web design focusing on HTML, CSS and JavaScript. These entries
are not all questions, but rather quick Twitter responses to the query,
'What has been your most difficult CSS challenge?'"
http://tinyurl.com/pr4kpv

The CSS Overflow Property
By Chris Coyier.
"Every single element on a page is a rectangular box. The sizing,
positioning, and behavior of these boxes can all be controlled via
CSS..."
http://css-tricks.com/the-css-overflow-property/

Creating Intrinsic Ratios for Video
By Thierry Koblentz.
"Did you ever want to resize a video on the fly, scaling it as you
would an image? Using intrinsic ratios for video, you can. This
technique allows browsers to determine video dimensions based on the
width of their containing block. With intrinsic dimensions, a new width
triggers a new height calculation, allowing videos to resize and giving
them the ability to scale the same way images do..."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/creating-intrinsic-ratios-for-video/

Transform your Text With text-transform
By Lorraine Nepomuceno.
"Text-transform is an incredibly useful CSS property, yet also one of
the most underused..."
http://www.devlounge.net/design/transform-your-text-with-text-transform

Apple's Navigation Bar Using Only CSS
By westciv.
"In this article we are going to make the toolbar below, using nothing
but HTML and CSS. If it doesn't look overly impressive, then you aren't
using Safari 4. I've not written this to show you something you can use
in every browser today (though as we shall see it degrades gracefully
in browsers that don't support various CSS3 features), but to show what
will soon be possible, and coming down the pipelines of CSS in real
live browsers."
http://tinyurl.com/qhyrp4

+03: FLASH.

HTML5 Spell Death to Flash?
By Remy Sharp.
"The web community has gone loopy over Google announcing they're
supporting HTML5 in a big way, particularly and almost specifically
because of the YouTube to demo using the video tag (I'll add: rightly
so)..."
http://remysharp.com/2009/05/28/html5-spell-death-to-flash/

+04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

How Site Personas Can Enhance Your Site
By Paul Boag.
"If your website was a person, what type of person would it be?..."
http://boagworld.com/site-content/site-personas

All About Card Sorting: An Interview with Donna Spencer
By Steve Baty.
"Donna Spencer is one of Australia's best-known information architects,
organizer of the UX Australia conference, and a frequent presenter at
UX conferences in Australia, the US, and Europe. I caught up with Donna
between her appearances at the IA Summit and RedUX DC to talk about
card sorting and her new book, Card Sorting: Designing Usable
Categories, which Rosenfeld Media recently published."
http://tinyurl.com/pmau3a

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

Comparison of ARIA Roles Exposed via MSAA and UI Automation in IE8
By Steve Faulkner.
"The Microsoft MSAA API cannot provide mapping for all ARIA roles as it
does not have defined roles and properties for all those defined by The
ARIA specification, the Microsoft UI Automation API can. UI automation
provides exposure of all WAI-ARIA roles and properties via the
ControlType and AriaRole properties..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=241

ECMAScript 5 Strict Mode, JSON, and More
By John Resig.
"Previously I analyzed ECMAScript 5's Object and Property system. This
is a huge new aspect of the language and deserved its special
consideration. There are a number of other new features and APIs that
need attention, as well. The largest of which are Strict Mode and
native JSON support..."
http://ejohn.org/blog/ecmascript-5-strict-mode-json-and-more/

Developing an Accessible Web 2.0 Widget Framework
By Eric Miraglia.
"As we continue to work on YUI 3, we're thinking hard about
accessibility. And no one here is thinking harder about that topic than
Todd Kloots, who has authored a variety of blog posts on the subject as
well as presenting a comprehensive tech talk on the art and science of
accessible development..."
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2009/05/22/video-kloots-a11y/

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Burnout
By Scott Boms.
"Web professionals are often expected to be 'always on'-always working,
absorbing information, and honing new skills. Unless our work and
personal lives are carefully balanced, however, the physical and mental
effects of an "always on" life can be debilitating..."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/burnout/

Interview - Jeffrey Zeldman
By net.
"Jeffrey Zeldman could be called the godfather of web standards. Oliver
Lindberg catches up with him to talk about the current state of play,
how to improve standards and how web designers can survive the economic
downturn..."
http://www.netmag.co.uk/zine/home/jeffrey-zeldman

Jared Smith of WebAIM - Interview
By Christopher Fearon.
"Jared Smith is the Associate Director of WebAIM. He is a highly
demanded presenter and trainer and has provided web accessibility
training to thousands of developers throughout the world."
http://tinyurl.com/qf2jxm

Jim Byrne of Jim Byrne and Associates - Interview
By Christopher Fearon.
"Jim Byrne has been a web developer and accessible web design
consultant since 1996."
http://tinyurl.com/p6mpy5

+07: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Language Semantics and Operational Meaning
By Larry Masinter.
"...W3C can, and should, define languages in which the meaning is
defined in the document, in terms of abstractions rather than in terms
of operational behavior. The result is more robust standards, those
that have wider applicability, that can be used for more purposes, and
that create a more vibrant and extensible web."
http://www.w3.org/QA/2009/05/language_semantics_and_operati.html

HTML 5: Now or Never?
By Kevin Yank.
"Here at SitePoint, we have started thinking about HTML 5, and whether
or not the time is right to publish a book about it. To help us decide,
we asked a number of web luminaries what they thought. Their answers
were both varied and interesting. Take a look and decide for yourself:
is it time you started learning about HTML 5?..."
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/05/26/html-5-now-or-never/

On the Inclusion of BibTeX in HTML5
By darcusblog.
"As part of the HTML5 effort, editor Ian Hickson has proposed a new way
to encode structured data in HTML. Ian has since included within the
proposal encodings of various widely used standards to describe events,
contacts and citations. These vocabularies have normative status within
the proposed spec, and have a privileged place within the DOM..."
http://tinyurl.com/qec4vd

A Loose Set of Notes on RDFa, XHTML, and HTML5
By Shelley Powers.
"There's been a great deal of discussion about RDFa, HTML5, and
microdata the last few days, on email lists and elsewhere. I wanted to
write down notes of the discussions here, for future reference. Those
working issues with RDFa in Drupal 7 should pay particular attention,
but the material is relevant to anyone incorporating RDFa..."
http://tinyurl.com/ofeq5g

The Accessibility of HTML 5 autofocus
By Bruce Lawson.
"...potential accessibility problems are not restricted to the HTML 5
use of autofocus; current JavaScript ways of doing it can cause the
same problems..."
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2009/the-accessibility-of-html-5-autofocus/

HTML5 Microdata - Over-cooked?
By Frances Berriman.
"Microdata is HTML5's answer to how we should go about embedding
machine-readable data in our mark-up..."
http://fberriman.com/2009/05/24/html5-microdata-over-cooked/

Google Bets Big on HTML 5: News from Google I/O
By Tim O'Reilly.
"While the entire  HTML 5 standard is years or more from adoption,
there are many powerful features available in browsers today. In fact,
five key next-generation features are already available in the latest
(sometimes experimental) browser builds from Firefox, Opera, Safari,
and Google Chrome. (Microsoft has announced that it will support HTML
5, and as Vic noted, 'We eagerly await evidence of that.')"
http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/05/google-bets-big-on-html-5.html

HTML5 Could Be the OS Killer
By David Coursey.
"For companies that compete with Microsoft, HTML5 is almost the Holy
Grail, offering the ability to run applications regardless of the
underlying operating system. While the browser isn't more important
than operating system today, Google this week firmly suggested it is
only a matter of time..."
http://tinyurl.com/mk8krj

Open Video- Chicken, Meet Egg
By Tristan Nitot.
"One of the many cool things that Firefox 3.5 will bring is Open Video.
What is it? It's native video in the browser using the HTML 5 video
element, combined with the non-proprietary Ogg Theora codec..."
http://tinyurl.com/mfvr2j

+08: TYPOGRAPHY.

Web Fonts Now (How we're doing with that)
By Jeffery Zeldman.
"The Web Fonts Wiki has a page listing fonts you can legally embed in
your site designs using the CSS standard @font-face method..."
http://tinyurl.com/qc3sa9

Introducing Typekit
By Jeffrey Veen.
"...We've been working with foundries to develop a consistent web-only
font linking license. We've built a technology platform that lets us to
host both free and commercial fonts in a way that is incredibly fast,
smoothes out differences in how browsers handle type, and offers the
level of protection that type designers need without resorting to
annoying and ineffective DRM..."
http://blog.typekit.com/2009/05/27/introducing-typekit/

Why Typekit Will Change Everything
By Andy Clarke
"Well, perhaps not quite everything. Today Jeffrey Veen let the cat out
of the proverbial. He announced Typekit."
http://tinyurl.com/nmcs2t

+09: USABILITY.

11 Usability Design Guidelines
By John Rhodes.
"This is a transcript of an audio that I've only released to a few
people..."
http://www.webword.com/wp/2009/05/23/11-usability-design-guidelines/

How to Listen to the User and Hear the Experience
By Demetrius Madrigal and Bryan McClain.
"...This article will include contents similar to the training
curriculum performed by hostage negotiators. We'll provide you with a
very brief overview of Active Listening as well as discuss some of its
numerous applications. We'll detail each of the Active Listening
techniques and how and when to use them. Finally, we'll discuss the
importance of training in order to make these advanced communication
techniques work in the context of research..."
http://www.usabilitypost.com/2009/05/21/how-to-listen/

Great Websites are Boring to Manage
By Gerry McGovern.
"Great websites help you complete simple, common tasks in a fast,
efficient manner. They are boring to design and manage."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2009/nt-2009-05-25-boring-to-manage.htm

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu