[webdev] Web Design Update: September 17, 2009

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Sep 17 15:30:37 CDT 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 8, Issue 12, September 17, 2009.

03: COLOR.
04: DREAMWEAVER
07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

The Caption Conundrum: Problem and Solution
By deaftechnyc.
"...With the explosion of video content on the internet, many have
posted university lectures for all to see. Sites like iTunesU make it
possible to learn about everything from Anthropology to Zoology.
Without captioning this content is not accessible to the Deaf. An
updated law would change that..."
http://tinyurl.com/mynlnt

Captioning Videos Does Matter
By Meryl Evans.
"Jen Rohrig and I have something in common. We just avoid videos online
because we know the chances of them having captions are slim..."
http://meryl.net/ci/2009/09/captioning_vide.html

Accessibility Changes Lives
By Ricky Buchanan.
"This is the first post in a series about assistive technology. I want
to show you why accessibility, adaptive technology, assistive
technology, and other disability-friendly practices matter. Really
matter..."
http://atmac.org/accessibility-changes-lives/

Accessibility Testing PDF Creation Tools
By Ted Page.
"It's clear that, if the production of fully accessible documents is
the objective, some care needs to be taken in choosing the right PDF
creation tool. To date, despite the number of options available, only
the established names (Adobe, Microsoft, OpenOffice) provide the
means..."
http://www.pws-ltd.com/sections/articles/2009/pdf_conversion_tools.html

Keyboard Accessibility Presentation at Future of Web Design Tour 2009
in Glasgow
By Patrick H. Lauke.
Patrick HTML5 presentation materials.
http://tinyurl.com/nnwtfl

Google Acquires reCAPTCHA: Potential Boost for Web Accessibility
By Lainey Feingold.
"Web Accessibility activists take note: Google has just purchased
reCAPTCHA, the most widely used audio CAPTCHA on the internet...."
http://lflegal.com/2009/09/google-recaptcha/

Accessimobility
By Jeremy Keith.
"...That’s quite a design challenge: an accessible touch-screen device!
I doff my hat in the general direction of the Apple engineers who rose
to this challenge..."
http://adactio.com/journal/1610/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

CSS Wishlist: New Ideas, Debates and Solutions
By Kayla Knight.
"...CSS will get a number of new changes. Among them are alternative
syntaxes, CSS programming concepts and the ability to allow more common
design techniques without using images. In this article, we'll go over
some current solutions, what we'd like to see in the future and the
pros and cons of them all..."
http://tinyurl.com/n2mwkk

11 Classic CSS Techniques Made Simple with CSS3
By Vasili.
"We've all had to achieve some effect that required an extra handful of
divs or PNGs. We shouldn't be limited to these old techniques when
there's a new age coming. This new age includes the use of CSS3. In
today's tutorial, I'll show you eleven different time-consuming effects
that can be achieved quite easily with CSS3..."
http://tinyurl.com/lmal7m

+03: COLOR.

Accessible Colour Combinations
By Roger Johansson.
"Different people have different needs when it comes to the colour
combinations that they can read comfortably (or at all) on screen. But
what colour combinations are actually preferred by people with dyslexia
or vision impairment?..."
http://tinyurl.com/m88t4g

Accessibility vs. Alpha Transparency
By Ben Buchanan.
"...Using transparency has the side effect of reducing contrast; and
for some reason it just feels like low-contrast thresholds kick in a
little earlier than they do with straight colours. I'm sure it's just
the "I wanna use the new toy!" factor, but there it is all the same..."
http://tinyurl.com/oz3f7c

How Colour Communicates Meaning
By Rob Mills.
"...Colour is a complex subject with many strands and it has the power
to subliminally convey values and stories..."
http://tinyurl.com/pnjf9s

+04: DREAMWEAVER.

(HTML5) Dreamweaver Compatibility
By html5tutorial.
"...Dreamweaver will not need a core update (this could be a
possibility down the track and could be released as a simple update
rather than a code update) if you are wondering how to implement HTML5
into your Dreamweaver or other HTML editing application we have a
simple solution..."
http://html5tutorial.net/examples/dreamweaver-compatibility.html

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Effective A/B Testing
By Ben Tilly.
A/B testing presentation slides. Covers theory, practice, & stats
analysis.
http://elem.com/~btilly/effective-ab-testing/

Discount Usability: 20 Years
By Jakob Nielsen.
Simple user testing with 5 participants, paper prototyping, and
heuristi evaluation offer a cheap, fast, and early focus on usability,
as well as many rounds of iterative design."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/discount-usability.html

+06: EVENTS.

Web Accessibility Day
September 22, 2009.
Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/web_accessibility_day.asp

Build
November 5, 2009.
Belfast, Northern Ireland
http://buildconference.com/

Future of Web Design
November 16-17, 2009.
New York, New York, U.S.A
http://events.carsonified.com/fowd/2009/nyc

Full-Frontal JavaScript
November 20, 2009.
Brighton, United Kingdom.
http://2009.full-frontal.org/

International Day of Disabled Persons
December 3, 2009.
Everywhere.
http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=109
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Day_of_Disabled_Persons

+07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

How I Draft an Information Architecture
By Donna Spencer.
"When I teach information architecture, the most common questions
aren't about the principles, but about the process. Just how do you
decide on a particular method, how do you choose categories, how do you
know what you've come up with is right?..."
http://www.uie.com/articles/creating_ia

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

CSS with Rachel Andrew (podcast and transcript)
By Kevin Yank.
"This week, Kevin Yank (@sentience) has a one-on-one chat with Rachel
Andrew, the author of SitePoint's best-selling CSS book, The CSS
Anthology, 3rd Edition.
http://tinyurl.com/nj6gtq

An Interview with Jamie Knight: Autism and Accessible Web Design
By Henny Swan.
"...Over the last few months I've been lucky enough to get to know an
amazing up and coming web designer called Jamie Knight and his trusted
side-kick Lion. Jamie also happens to have autism and has a lot to say
on the subject of accessible web design and what the web means to
him..."
http://tinyurl.com/ry35c7

+09: NAVIGATION.

Principles of Effective Web Navigation
Zach Dunn.
"Good navigation gets you places. More importantly, good navigation
gets you places without a headache..."
http://buildinternet.com/2009/09/principles-of-effective-web-navigation/

SlickMap CSS
By astuteo.
"SlickMap CSS is a simple stylesheet for displaying finished sitemaps
directly from HTML unordered list navigation. It's suitable for most
web sites - accommodating up to three levels of page navigation and
additional utility links - and can easily be customized to meet your
own individual needs, branding, or style preferences..."
http://astuteo.com/slickmap/

+10: PHP.

How to Debug in PHP
By Kieran Masterton.
"...This article breaks down the fundamentals of debugging in PHP,
helps you understand PHP's error messages and introduces you to some
useful tools to help make the process a little less painful..."
http://carsonified.com/blog/dev/how-to-debug-in-php/

+11: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

The Section Element
By Bruce Lawson.
"We doctors are a bunch of chums HTML5 and writing about how we do it.
Apart from spurious requests for medical advice, the questions we
receive most are about using the section element, and we realize that
we've been using the section element incorrectly all this time..."
http://html5doctor.com/the-section-element/

Updated Video Accessibility Demo
By Silvia Pfeiffer.
"Just a brief note to share that I have updated the video accessibility
demo..."
http://blog.gingertech.net/2009/09/14/updated-video-accessibility-demo/

Canvas Examples
By html5tutorial.
"One of the most talked about features of the upcoming HTML5 code is
the <canvas> element / tag, some of you may be aware that the <canvas>
was first developed by Apple for use in their Mac OS X Dashboard and
also implemented at a later date by the Safari browser, Most Gecko
based browsers such as FireFox have current support for the <canvas>
tag...."
http://html5tutorial.net/examples/canvas-examples.html

Detecting HTML5 Features
By Mark Pilgrim.
"You may well ask: 'How can I start using HTML5 if older browsers don't
support it?' But the question itself is misleading. HTML5 is not one
big thing; it is a collection of individual features. So you can't
detect 'HTML5 support,' because that doesn't make any sense. But you
can detect support for individual features, like canvas, video, or
geolocation."
http://diveintohtml5.org/detect.html

HTML5 Test Results
By Jeremy Keith.
"As promised, I've gathered the data from one of the exercises I
administered at the dConstruct HTML5 and CSS3 workshop and totted the
results up in a table."
http://adactio.com/journal/1607/

The Devil in the Details
By Jeremy Keith.
"...So how should we mark up conversations now? Here's what the spec
now suggests: Authors who need to mark the speaker for styling purposes
are encouraged to use span or b. Um... what? The b element? Really? You
have got to be kidding..."
http://adactio.com/journal/1609/

Future of Web Design, Glasgow
By Bruce Lawson.
Bruce's HTML5 presentation materials.
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2009/future-of-web-design-glasgow/

This Week in HTML5 - Episode 35
By Mark Pilgrim.
"On August 7, 2009, Adrian Bateman did what no man or woman had ever
done before: he gave substantive feedback on the current editor's draft
of HTML5 on behalf of Microsoft..."
http://blog.whatwg.org/this-week-in-html5-episode-35

HTML 5
By Arpan Dhandhania.
"...overview of what HTML 5 has to offer..."
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/html/HTML5/

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu