[webdev] Web Design Update: October 9, 2010

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Sat Oct 9 01:15:32 CDT 2010

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 9, Issue 15, October 9, 2010.

design and development.

03: COLOR.
04: DREAMWEAVER.
07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
12: TOOLS.
13: TYPOGRAPHY.

President Obama Signs Accessibility Act
By Andrew Kirkpatrick.
"Today I am thrilled to attend an event at the White House where
President Obama signs into law the 21st Century Communications and
Video Accessibility Act of 2010. This act includes a number of
provisions intended to increase access to video programming on
television and the internet..."
http://blogs.adobe.com/accessibility/2010/10/president-obama-signs-accessibility-act.html

Accessibility Video Tutorials
By Think Vitamin.
Think Vitamin's accessibility videos are now no cost to view.
http://membership.thinkvitamin.com/library/accessibility

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Vendor Prefix Lists
By Eric A. Meyer.
"At the prompting of an inquiry from a respected software vendor, I
asked The Twitters for pointers to 'canonical' lists of
vendor-prefixed properties, values, and selectors. Here's what the
crowd sourced at me..."
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2010/10/08/vendor-prefix-lists/

Make a 'View Source' Button
By Chris Coyier.
"Remy Sharp's cool site for HTML5 demos has a 'View Source' button on
each of the individual demo pages. Click it, and you see the entire
source code for the page you are looking at. It's not a popup or a new
tab, it just shows the source right there on the page. I thought that
was cool so I set out to recreate it my own way."
http://css-tricks.com/make-a-view-source-button/

+03: COLOR.

How is Colour Contrast Determined?
By Glenda Watson Hyatt.
"Today on Blog Accessibility, I revealed my favourite tool in my
accessibility toolbox."
http://blogaccessibility.com/?p=54

+04: DREAMWEAVER.

Why Teaching Dreamweaver is Like Being President
By Virginia DeBolt.
"I mentioned a while back that I accepted a job teaching Dreamweaver
at UNM Continuing Ed. I just completed my first session – a 12 hour
class in beginning Dreamweaver. I've decided that teaching Dreamweaver
is a lot like being the President of the United States."
http://www.webteacher.ws/2010/10/05/why-teaching-dreamweaver-is-like-being-president/

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Heretical Ideas - Abandon Focus Groups
By Gary Barber.
"Too often we see focus groups being used as the core evaluation and
research tool within a web design project. Why..."
http://manwithnoblog.com/2010/10/07/heretical-ideas-abandon-focus-groups