[webdev] Web Design Update: July 12, 2012

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Jul 12 06:49:32 CDT 2012

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 10, Issue 03, July 12, 2012.

design and development.

02: BOOKS.

Stop General Staff Sabotaging Accessibility
By Rachel McAlpine.
"Great: you upgraded your CMS so that software and existing content
now complies with WCAG 2.0 AA. Problem: accessible technology does not
guarantee accessible content. Your staff continue to sabotage
accessibility by uploading content that breaks all the rules..."
http://contented.com/contented/2012/stop-general-staff-sabotaging-accessibility-2/

Canvas Accessibility
By David Bolter.
"On its own the HTML canvas element is not accessible to everyone and
that's not likely to change. The canvas itself is simply a primitive
drawing surface that web developers can use via a fairly low level
graphics API. For example code to draw a triangle might look something
like this..."
http://mindforks.blogspot.de/2012/07/canvas-accessibility.html

Are Web Apps Accessible Enough to Replace Desktop Applications Any Time Soon?
By Marco Zehe.
"...It saddens me to say this, but no, it hasn't, at least for me..."
http://www.marcozehe.de/2012/07/06/are-web-apps-accessible-enough-to-replace-desktop-applications-any-time-soon/

Google Launches Google+ Hangout Accessibility App
By globalaccessibilitynews.
"Google is working on making Google+ more accessible for users with
hearing disabilities..."
http://globalaccessibilitynews.com/2012/07/06/google-launches-google-hangout-accessibility-app/

+02: BOOKS.

Devlin, Ian. HTML5 Multimedia: Develop and Design, Peachpit Press, 2011.

+03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

>From Grids to Layout Groups Responsive Ripples
By Niels Matthijs.
"Responsive is everywhere, the impact is tremendous. Wireframing,
visual design and front-end development are all straining to cater to
the needs of responsive web design. People are experimenting but
nobody really knows for sure where responsive will take us. From a
front-end/structural point of view, the first and most drastic impact
of responsive on a website is the layout grid, so let's see how this
may affect the html and css we write..."
http://www.onderhond.com/blog/work/from-grid-to-layout-groups

Google HTML/CSS Style Guide
By Google.
http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/htmlcssguide.xml

+02: EVENTS.

Mobile Design
July 19-20, 2012 in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
August 2-3, 2012 Toronto, Canada
September 6-7, 2012 in San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://www.humanfactors.com/training/mobile.asp

Applications of Responsive Web Design Panel
July 24, 2012.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
http://www.meetup.com/TechinMotionPhilly/events/71835302/

UX Week
August 21-24, 2012.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://uxweek.com/2012/

Web Accessibility London 2012
September 19, 2012.
London, England, United Kingdom
http://a11yldn12.eventbrite.co.uk/

+03: JAVASCRIPT.

Using WAI-ARIA
By Ramon Corominas.
Ramon's presentation in the SpainJS event about creating accessible
apps using WAI-ARIA.
http://ramoncorominas.com/spainjs/

Google JavaScript Style Guide
By Google.
http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/javascriptguide.xml

+04: MISCELLANEOUS.

Mobile to the Future - Luke Wroblewski
By Jeffery Zeldman.
"Here are my notes on Luke Wroblewski's presentation at An Event Apart
Austin..."
http://www.zeldman.com/2012/07/09/mobile-to-the-future-luke-wroblewski/

How Long To a Mobile Majority?
By Luke Wroblewski.
"Things change for an Internet company when the majority of their
usage and traffic shifts from desktop to mobile devices. New
processes, priorities, and product thinking are required to adapt. But
don't wait too long to change as the shift from desktop to mobile can
happen faster then you think..."
http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1581

Apps Vs Mobile Web - What Should You Develop
By Alex Anderson.
"...if a user was looking for pure information on the spur of the
moment, in the majority of cases they would use the mobile web to
browse for what they were looking for. Even if the consumer were to
download your app for their one off purpose if it does not fit into a
routine our study showed that it was soon forgotten and subsequently
deleted..."
http://www.webcredible.co.uk/blog/apps-vs-mobile-web-what-should-you-develop

You Still Need Your Own Website
By Mac Slocum.
"...Use social networks all you like, but continue to publish content
through your own site. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr et al are the spokes
that attach to the hub you own and control...Beyond the whiff of
desperation attached to pleas for 'likes' and 'follows,' a total
reliance on external platforms is asking for trouble in the long
term..."
http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/07/federated-social-web-own-website.html

+05: PHP.

The True Problem With PHP
By Anthony Ferrara.
"...The core of the PHP community is filled with a lot of really
talented and smart developers doing some really amazing things. But on
the fringes, there are a lot of people who are writing articles,
tutorials, and posts designed to help beginners learn the language
(and usually how to program). The problem with this is that the
majority of those authors frankly don't have a clue what they are
talking about..."
http://blog.ircmaxell.com/2012/07/true-problem-with-php.html

+06: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

HTML5 For Web Designers
By Jeremy Keith.
Jeremy's book.
http://html5forwebdesigners.com/index/index.html

HTML5 and the Future of the Web - Dr. Seuss Style
By Christian Heilmann.
Christian Heilmann's Webvisions presentation materials are available.
http://christianheilmann.com/2012/07/06/html5-and-the-future-of-the-web-dr-seuss-style/

+07: USABILITY.

The Case for Responsive Web Content - It's All About the Users
By Christiaan Lustig.
"Separate mobile site, or responsive design? Don't take sides in the
Nielsen-Clark debate: use top task analysis to find out what your
users really want, says Christiaan Lustig..."
http://www.netmagazine.com/features/case-responsive-web-content-its-all-about-users

3 Types Of Solutions To Work With Responsive Images
By Steven Bradley.
"One of the big 3 requirements for responsive design is flexible
images and media. On the surface it seems like an easy thing to do.
You remove width and height attributes on images, set their max-width
to 100% and call it a day. Beneath the surface there's a lot more we
need to consider..."
http://www.vanseodesign.com/web-design/responsive-images/

New 'Adaptive Image' HTML Tag Stirs Controversy
By David Elliot.
A longstanding debate on the most effective way to enable the
capability for adaptive images has set web developers against browser
engineers, as well as causing a schism among developers.
http://www.developerdrive.com/2012/07/new-adaptive-image-html-tag-stirs-controversy/

Why Review and Remove are Such Critical Web Skills
By Gerry McGovern.
"In the history of evolution it is generally better to complicate than
to simplify. But complication can hit a wall."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2012/nt-2012-07-09-Review-remove.htm

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/dreamweaver.html

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/flash.html

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu